Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zippeh
    • By Zippeh 11th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    • 87Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Zippeh
    No planning?!
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:26 AM
    No planning?! 11th Jul 17 at 10:26 AM
    My wife and I went to view a lovely house last week which is ideally located at the end of a track out of the way. One problem. The current owner is a builder, and has built on some of the land which is currently on the same deeds as the bungalow. He was hoping to get planning permission retrospectively for this building (two stories and the size of a house) but has failed, and isn't appealing the decision. Apparently it failed because if would have been a "new dwelling". So this building is currently up, and has no planning permission at all. It might be a different story if the applicant was to apply for planning as a holiday cottage and it was kept as part of the bungalow "property".

We wouldn't want to buy the bungalow without this building, as I wouldn't want the uncertainty of not knowing what might happen with it. In the same breath I'm very wary of paying extra for a building that has no planning permission. I also have no idea about any regs that it has / hasn't adhered to.

I don't know where to start with it all though! Any advice?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 11th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 5,677 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:35 AM
    Do you need a mortgage? I doubt a lender would be happy with it.

Are you prepared to take on the risk of having to demolish the (half-built?) house?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 5,252 Posts
    • 4,892 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:42 AM
    If you need a mortgage, it's very unlikely that you'd get one with this problem unresolved.

I'd guess two possible outcomes are...

1. An enforcement notice will be served, and the new building will have to be demolished

2. Attempt to get planning consent for the new building as ancillary accommodation to the main house. e.g. as a study, games room, utility room, spa room etc - belonging to the main house. (But that might be a challenge with a two storey building!)

If you like a gamble, and the price is right, and you don't need a mortgage - you could buy expecting having to have the pay the cost of demolition, and regard it as a bonus if you get consent for ancillary accommodation.
    • Zippeh
    • By Zippeh 11th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Zippeh
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:56 AM
    Yeah we would need a mortgage. The problem is, if the current owner gets planning permission for it to be used as a holiday home then I guess the price goes up, and it's already at the top of our budget! There is, of course, the worry that a notice could be served and it would need knocking down. Which really enforces the point that at the moment there is no real "value" attached to that building is there, only the land that it's built on.

Like you say though, there is a "gamble" element. If it turns out well, and it can be let as holiday accommodation, then there would be a great income from it (possibly!) or otherwise there's a big cost in knocking the thing down!
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:21 AM
    Don't touch this with a barge pole if you need a mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,984Posts Today

8,733Users online

Martin's Twitter