Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 11th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 238Posts
    • 28Thanks
    vikramrkin
    Mains wire to boiler timer overheating
    • #1
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    Mains wire to boiler timer overheating 11th Jul 17 at 8:54 AM
    Hi All,

    I am looking for some help with my boiler timer. I have 10 year old Pulsacoil A class boiler. The existing TimeGuard timer had stopped working so I replaced with a newer model of TimeGuard (NTT08). In few weeks I noticed that the timer and the mains lead going into it were so hot that the wire had become sticky to touch. I contacted the seller who sent me a replacement unit. Now even the replacement unit has the same problem.

    I am wondering if there is something wrong with my wiring or worse boiler?? TimeGuard did say that I should be using a 2.5mm lead. It looks that thickness and it is the original electric wire fitted when the house was built. So I assume they would have used the correct thickness?

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks
    Vik
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    Dangerous assumption. Get a professional to check the wiring to make sure it is the correct rating for the use. "It looks thick enough" isn't really a safe way to assess it.
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 11th Jul 17, 10:24 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    vikramrkin
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:24 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:24 AM
    Dangerous assumption. Get a professional to check the wiring to make sure it is the correct rating for the use. "It looks thick enough" isn't really a safe way to assess it.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Thanks for the reply. The timer is switched off and I am using the boiler with "On peak boost" button which bypasses the timer.

    I wanted to ensure that it is not a timer device problem before calling an electrician.

    Thanks
    Vik
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 11th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:59 AM
    I suspect that the timer is fine. It would be an unfortunate coincidence if both units were faulty.
    • Moss5
    • By Moss5 11th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Moss5
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:14 AM
    http://www.pulsacoil-repairs.co.uk/pulsacoil-A-Class.html

    Looks like you have a defect that is known about.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 16,769 Posts
    • 10,988 Thanks
    molerat
    • #6
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • #6
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    Why did the original timer stop working ? Overheating maybe ?

    The above linked fault is an on unit wiring fault but as it is overheating on the off peak side could be the root cause of your problem. Get someone in to have a look if you are not confident enough to take the front off and look for burnt wiring inside. Looking at the wiring diagram only 1.5mm flex is required to feed the unit so if 2.5mm is overheating you have a problem. http://www.gledhill-response.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PulsaCoilAClass-Iss9.pdf
    Last edited by molerat; 11-07-2017 at 11:55 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 11th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • 11,454 Posts
    • 6,405 Thanks
    Strider590
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:48 PM
    TimeGuard did say that I should be using a 2.5mm lead. It looks that thickness
    Originally posted by vikramrkin
    It's not thickness, it's cross sectional area. 2.5mm2 is quite a thick wire.

    Despite this, I think something else is afoot, maybe something not wired correctly.
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

    "Never confuse education with intelligence"
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 11th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    vikramrkin
    • #8
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • #8
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I will get a professional as I don't want to mess with the boiler!
    • MonsieurFrugal
    • By MonsieurFrugal 12th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    MonsieurFrugal
    • #9
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    • #9
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:51 PM
    Id check all the connections are tight. Most electrical fires start because there are loose connections
    pvoutput.org/intraday.jsp?id=39350&sid=35952
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 6,154 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    ohreally
    2.5 is a heavy conductor and I'm not sure it would fit the terminals.
    • vikramrkin
    • By vikramrkin 12th Jul 17, 10:13 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    vikramrkin
    2.5 is a heavy conductor and I'm not sure it would fit the terminals.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Not sure, that's what time guard told me. Anyways, have booked an engineers visit this weekend so hopefully the problem is fixed!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,205Posts Today

9,501Users online

Martin's Twitter