Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cooky44
    • By cooky44 11th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    • 42Posts
    • 8Thanks
    cooky44
    Cash in Pension @ 55
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:51 AM
    Cash in Pension @ 55 11th Jul 17 at 8:51 AM
    Hi
    I have 2 private pensions - each only with a couple of thousand in - I am approaching my 55th birthday and wondered:
    1) Can I cash the 2 of them in - will only have about £4000 in total from 2 pensions
    2) As I am still in full time employment - do I have to contact the Inland revenue with regard to the money I recieve and will it be added to my yearly salary for deductions ?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Spreadsheetman
    • By Spreadsheetman 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Spreadsheetman
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    Yes - google "trivial commutation" and all those questions are answered.

Note that doing this affects the amounts you can contribute to pensions going forward.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 22,050 Posts
    • 12,719 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    Re small pot and MPAA

http://www.scottishwidows.co.uk/extranet/literature/doc/FP0473

http://www.pruadviser.co.uk/content/knowledge/technical-centre/money_purchase_annual_allowance_mpaa/
    • atush
    • By atush 11th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 16,104 Posts
    • 9,813 Thanks
    atush
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    Are these the only pensions you have?

Will you like the idea of paying 20-40% tax on 3K of it?

Will it push your income into HRT?

Just because you CAN do something, doesnt mean you should.
  • jamesd
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:58 PM
    You could combine them then use the small pot rule once. Since you are limited to doing it only three times in your life for this type it would be a bad move to use it twice when once will do the job.

Since the small pot rule allows up to ten thousand Pounds it would be a good move to pay in more to get closer to that. Then you get a quarter of the extra tax relief out tax free, a nice quick money maker.

I've assumed that you won't päy a higher rate of tax on the taxable portion than the relief you receive on the way in.
    Last edited by jamesd; 11-07-2017 at 1:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,489Posts Today

4,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin