Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aidan-
    • By Aidan- 11th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Aidan-
    Question about ESA and back to work
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    Question about ESA and back to work 11th Jul 17 at 8:38 AM
    Hi all I really need advice, I'm thinking of getting a job (god that even feels good typing that ). I have been on the sick for 17 years my condition or should I say conditions have got worse in later years.

But I really need to return to the work place, and I think I have found the perfect job that would suit me my conditions. I haven't applied for the job or done anything about it yet.

Wife thinks I'm mad and won't be-able to cope with it (I'm a-bit unsure too, to be honest).

I really need to return to the work place, but would I suffer any repercussion if I got a job and signed of the sick.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 11th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 10,828 Posts
    • 12,690 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:52 AM
    [QUOTE=Aidan-;72820732]Hi all I really need advice, I'm thinking of getting a job (god that even feels good typing that ). I have been on the sick for 17 years my condition or should I say conditions have got worse in later years.

But I really need to return to the work place, and I think I have found the perfect job that would suit me my conditions. I haven't applied for the job or done anything about it yet.

Wife thinks I'm mad and won't be-able to cope with it (I'm a-bit unsure too, to be honest).

You have a couple of options:

You can talk to your adviser (work coach) or DWP about doing Permitted Work.

This was originally set up so that people on ESA could 'dip their toes' into the work place.

There are criteria. You must work under 16 hrs a week and not earn over a certain limit (google for more information). You need permission from the DWP to do it. The amount earned under Permitted work does not affect your ESA, or HB/CTR.

Or you can get a full time job, close your ESA claim and go for it! You are allowed to reclaim ESA as a rapid reclaim if you do so within 12 weeks and return to the same group/money as before.

There may be other options, such as working at least 16 hrs and claiming working tax if you meet the criteria. Do you claim DLA?PIP?

How many hours is this job?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:55 AM
    Hi all I really need advice, I'm thinking of getting a job (god that even feels good typing that ). I have been on the sick for 17 years my condition or should I say conditions have got worse in later years.

I really need to return to the work place, but would I suffer any repercussion if I got a job and signed of the sick.
    Originally posted by Aidan-
    Have you ever thought about permitted work? This maybe an option and would allow you to "try" going back to work before you decided to work full time. Have a look at this link..https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Employment-and-Support-Allowance-Permitted-Work/What-is-permitted-work-(Employment-and-Support-All
    Will it affect your future ESA claim? That would depend on what work you do and whether it contradicts what you're claiming ESA for, as to whether it would go against in with furture assessments. You would also need to ring them and get permission first. Worth thinking about in my oppinion.
    • Aidan-
    • By Aidan- 11th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aidan-
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    [QUOTE=pmlindyloo;72821073]

This was originally set up so that people on ESA could 'dip their toes' into the work place.

There are criteria. You must work under 16 hrs a week and not earn over a certain limit (google for more information). You need permission from the DWP to do it. The amount earned under Permitted work does not affect your ESA, or HB/CTR.

Or you can get a full time job, close your ESA claim and go for it! You are allowed to reclaim ESA as a rapid reclaim if you do so within 12 weeks and return to the same group/money as before.

There may be other options, such as working at least 16 hrs and claiming working tax if you meet the criteria. Do you claim DLA?PIP?

I don't think I would want to tell them to much until I'm ready to comit, as for the job I'm looking at it's 37 hour's but thank you for your reply.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 11th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 3,352 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:16 AM
    That's great news Aidan. I would say go for it, you'll never know unless you try, but have a serious think about your situation before the 12 week linking period is up. That way you're not closing any doors, you can continue in work knowing you're fit to do so, or you can reclaim your benefits as before.

Best of luck.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 1,499 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    [QUOTE=pmlindyloo;72821073]

Sorry pmlindyloo i didn't see your post was replying rather slowly when you obviously beat me to it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,204Posts Today

6,753Users online

Martin's Twitter