Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeagueOfWolf
    • By LeagueOfWolf 11th Jul 17, 2:41 AM
    • 33Posts
    • 10Thanks
    LeagueOfWolf
    Quote for bathroom, kitchen complete home redecoration for 30sqm studio flat
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:41 AM
    Quote for bathroom, kitchen complete home redecoration for 30sqm studio flat 11th Jul 17 at 2:41 AM
    My mums lifetime friend is a builder she trusts him I trust her but he didn't give a quote until gutting and removing entire contents of new flat and I'm a bit shocked at the costs but I have no idea? Would like to know how much it costed other people.

He has quoted £13,000 for everything including purchasing all goods and labour costs and removal/fitting/plumbing/lights etc

It's a small 30sqm studio flat in greater London

What he's doing:
    Taken everything out of flat (remove kitchen bathroom flooring in whole place and disposed of stuff)
    Replaster around 2 windows
    Replaster and sand tiny areas of hallway wall
    Buy new bathroom suite and fit it
    Buy new kitchen with intergrated appliance ((fridge cooker oven extractor fan only) and fit it
    Tiling for wall and floor kitchen+bathroom
    New oak engineered oak floor for living/bedroom area and hallway fitted with soundproof underlay and skirting a
    Sand paint all doors, new silver handles and hinges
    Maybe fitting wardrobe with a a Murphy pop down bed
    Paint ceilings
    Paint walls
    New lights fitted

Everything is tiny as it's my first home so
    Hallway 1mx2.85m
    Bathroom is around 1.2mx2m
    Kitchen is 2.7x2.25m
    Living/bedroom is 3.8mx4.45m

I just need some piece of mind any ideas would be great all the stuff we're getting is either Ikea or some cheap website plumbworld??
    Like the thr taps were £20-35, bathroom white goods £400

I'm usually someone who uses spreadsheets and and seeing where my money is going excaxtly so I'm freaking out any help appreciated in providing rough costs of their makeovers. thanks!!
    Last edited by LeagueOfWolf; 11-07-2017 at 7:18 AM.
Page 1
    • cddc
    • By cddc 11th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    cddc
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:41 AM
    On the face of it that seems high but... there is a lot of small fiddly jobs in there and looking at the size of the rooms, probably a large amount of cutting of tiles and flooring so in terms of the amount of time taken and bearing in mind this is London with London labour rates, it might not be that bad.

It always annoys me that many builders just quote a lump sum, rather than show you how they get to that figure.

I would get another quote if you can but it would not totally surprise me if it was not that much different.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 11th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 7,873 Posts
    • 7,121 Thanks
    phill99
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    In fairness it seems a decent price given that he is supplying everything.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • LeagueOfWolf
    • By LeagueOfWolf 12th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    LeagueOfWolf
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 10:22 AM
    Hmmm I just didn't know what to expect really and Ive heard so many negative experiences from friends about refurb costs.
    Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

4,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin