Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Jul 17, 12:23 AM
    • 22,958Posts
    • 88,557Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Interview in the Morning
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:23 AM
    Interview in the Morning 11th Jul 17 at 12:23 AM
    Got a job interview.

I hope I get it - think I'm at least in with a good chance. But there's always the possibility something could go awry. I'm overthinking it right now, so need distraction.

Anybody got some good stories about interviews they've attended? Preferably ones that make me think 'well, at least that can't happen to me'?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Page 2
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 11th Jul 17, 7:14 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,688 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jul 17, 7:15 PM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 5,684 Thanks
    avogadro
    That sounds great! Fingers crossed for you.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 11th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I've had a few highly technical interviews where I was totally out my depth. One of them involved a written exam where I was asked to write, with pencil and paper, a program for generating prime numbers. I drew a total blank and sat staring into space for an hour.

I've had a few interviews with some big-name banks for software engineering jobs which were pretty interesting (I didn't get any of the jobs). The most interesting was with JP Morgan - it was clear that the interviewer didn't think I was what they wanted but he was nice to me and explained why I probably wouldn't like the job anyway. The job would have involved doing whatever the traders asked me to do (normally writing small programs or spreadsheets for them to complete a specific task) - and he said that I would never ever get thanked, no matter how hard I tried, and I'd get screamed at if I didn't work fast enough.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 12th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 22,958 Posts
    • 88,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I've had a few highly technical interviews where I was totally out my depth. One of them involved a written exam where I was asked to write, with pencil and paper, a program for generating prime numbers. I drew a total blank and sat staring into space for an hour.

I've had a few interviews with some big-name banks for software engineering jobs which were pretty interesting (I didn't get any of the jobs). The most interesting was with JP Morgan - it was clear that the interviewer didn't think I was what they wanted but he was nice to me and explained why I probably wouldn't like the job anyway. The job would have involved doing whatever the traders asked me to do (normally writing small programs or spreadsheets for them to complete a specific task) - and he said that I would never ever get thanked, no matter how hard I tried, and I'd get screamed at if I didn't work fast enough.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    One I went for but didn't get was for a bank - they took the time straight afterwards to talk to me about how they scored and said the only thing that stopped them hiring me was I was too encouraging of the other staff during the team working feedback session by coaching them to have something to say about the session, rather than taking the credit all myself - and that I didn't say a particular phrase in the formal interview section, I only explained exactly the same concept, just without the buzzwords.

It seemed a bit mean and I initially suspected that it had more to do with how entire building was full of tall, beautiful young women with gleaming hair, glowing skin, all wearing very short but extremely expensive looking skirt suits. I wasn't too worried about that, as I wouldn't want to work somewhere where the veneer is more important than the substance.

However, the bank announced massive redundancies and closures just two weeks later, so I have a feeling that they suspected something was in the offing and decided to stop me from giving up my current job only to lose the new one by Christmas.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 13th Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 13,454 Posts
    • 25,571 Thanks
    onlyroz
    JoJo i've heard that the biggest mistake you can make in an interview for a city bank is wearing the "wrong" thing. Particular crimes involve wearing brown shoes or an of-the-peg suit. Policies like this effectively exclude people who don't have any city contacts to advise them, or who can't afford the snazzy suit.

In any event I'm glad I didn't get any of the London jobs because the commute would be awful and they expect much longer hours.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Sep 17, 8:35 AM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 5,899 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    JoJo.....you tell us lots of things, but you haven't told us whether you got the job or not. Did you get it?
    • oldhand
    • By oldhand 11th Sep 17, 12:44 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 7,253 Thanks
    oldhand
    Jojo, you are a clever and compassionate poster, probably the same in the real world.
    I think you will do well and wish you all the best.
    Originally posted by Tipsntreats
    Just how much do you owe JoJo Tips??
    • Growurown
    • By Growurown 11th Sep 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,308 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    Growurown
    I had an interview for a bank once, (it was some time ago I admit) but they wouldn't take me on because I would have been older than the manager, and they didn't think that would work.
    DMP Mutual Support Thread No. 421

Debt free date 25/11/2015 - Made It!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,704Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin