Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Jul 17, 12:23 AM
    • 23,225Posts
    • 90,079Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Interview in the Morning
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:23 AM
    Interview in the Morning 11th Jul 17 at 12:23 AM
    Got a job interview.

I hope I get it - think I'm at least in with a good chance. But there's always the possibility something could go awry. I'm overthinking it right now, so need distraction.

Anybody got some good stories about interviews they've attended? Preferably ones that make me think 'well, at least that can't happen to me'?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Page 1
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 6:16 AM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,594 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:16 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:16 AM
    When is it?

Good luck with it!

(You were a bit naughty being up so late if you have an interview this morning! )
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:53 AM
    How long does the Interview last.....owt like some of your postings, it could drag on a bit.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,594 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:56 AM
    How long does the Interview last.....owt like some of your postings, it could drag on a bit.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Ooooh! Miaow Pompey!

Don't take any notice, Jojo, I like your posts!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    • 22,897 Posts
    • 59,121 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:50 AM
    You're probably there now. Good luck, Jo.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,594 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:12 AM
    Sock it to 'em!

(Then come back here and sock Pompey! )
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 8,266 Posts
    • 27,675 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    If they ask where you see yourself in 5 years, answer:
    "In your house, taking a !!!! on your toilet, while your wife makes me a sandwich."
    It shows confidence and a go-getting attitude.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    Penitent
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:35 AM
    Bit late now, but good luck.

I was interviewing for an unpaid placement a few years ago. When they asked me what they would get out of it, I answered honestly and said "free labour?" This was apparently the wrong answer, because all three of them looked at me like I'd said I'd diddle their pets. I still don't know what the correct answer was.

I also spent about 2 hours being interviewed for a job that didn't exist a few years ago. Turned out they were just going through the motions--they were planning to fill the positions internally the whole time, but had to interview some external people to make the process look fair.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,594 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    If they ask where you see yourself in 5 years, answer:
    "In your house, taking a !!!! on your toilet, while your wife makes me a sandwich."
    It shows confidence and a go-getting attitude.
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Jul 17, 9:48 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Got a job interview.

I hope I get it - think I'm at least in with a good chance. But there's always the possibility something could go awry. I'm overthinking it right now, so need distraction.

Anybody got some good stories about interviews they've attended? Preferably ones that make me think 'well, at least that can't happen to me'?
    Originally posted by Jojo the Tightfisted
    As I was about to leave the Royal Navy (RN) at the end of 1993, I got head-hunted, so I thought, to be the Assistant Cashier at Freemason' Hall on Great Queen in Holborn.

Despite the daily commute, I was quite looking forward to the prospect, and got the train up from Pompey to Waterloo Station for my interview.

Walking over Waterloo Bridge, was a bloke coming in the opposite direction who I recognised as an equal of mine in the RN. I stopped him and we spoke for a minute.....he'd was just about to enter Civvy Street too, and had been 'head-hunted' for the same job, and had just had his interview.

I got to Great Queen Street, and was just about to enter the rather grand building.....when the heel dropped off my right shoe!

Anyhow the interview went alright..... more like a welcome, when can you start.

Couple of days later I got a letter thanking me for attending, but sorry you didn't get the job.

Turned out the bloke who got the job was the bloke I'd bumped into on Waterloo Bridge......he only lasted 6 weeks!

Shortly afterwards my application to join the creme de la creme department of the Civil Service was underway.....and I enjoyed an interesting 10 years including 8 years abroad.

So if today doesn't work out, there might be a reason.....good luck.
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 11-07-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 11th Jul 17, 10:14 AM
    • 30,346 Posts
    • 111,594 Thanks
    Pyxis
    At my first ever interview, which was for the Civil Service, there were six men in sober suits lined up along a large table.

After asking me various questions, one of them said they didn't think it was a job for an engaged young lady.
    I was honestly gobsmacked, and blurted out "Why?".

I din't really get an answer.
    I did get the job, though.

(This was in the 70s, and they were all quite 'old' men!)
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Jul 17, 10:31 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    At my first ever interview, which was for the Civil Service, there were six men in sober suits lined up along a large table.

After asking me various questions, one of them said they didn't think it was a job for an engaged young lady.
    I was honestly gobsmacked, and blurted out "Why?".

I din't really get an answer.
    I did get the job, though.

(This was in the 70s, and they were all quite 'old' men!)
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Probably wearing stockings and suspenders underneath their pin-stripes.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Jul 17, 10:52 AM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    Gavin83
    I also spent about 2 hours being interviewed for a job that didn't exist a few years ago. Turned out they were just going through the motions--they were planning to fill the positions internally the whole time, but had to interview some external people to make the process look fair.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    I'm genuinely curious how people know this, did they tell you during the interview or something?
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 11th Jul 17, 10:58 AM
    • 4,767 Posts
    • 6,368 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Bit late now, but good luck.

I was interviewing for an unpaid placement a few years ago. When they asked me what they would get out of it, I answered honestly and said "free labour?" This was apparently the wrong answer, because all three of them looked at me like I'd said I'd diddle their pets. I still don't know what the correct answer was.

Originally posted by Penitent
    I'm genuinely curious how people know this, did they tell you during the interview or something?
    Originally posted by Gavin83
    Not going to try and find all the rules, but don't you have to advertise externally these days even if it's obvious that the successful candidate is going to be a current staff member?
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 11-07-2017 at 11:01 AM.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    Penitent
    Honestly, it was a few years and many interviews ago, so I can't remember exactly. I know I left the interview knowing exactly what the outcome was going to be, but I can't remember the exact words used. When I called for feedback, I was told both positions were filled internally.

I've also seen it from the other side when I worked for the NHS. We all knew that the people already in the dept were getting the job (who's better qualified than someone who's basically already doing the job?), but there's an obligation to advertise the position.
    Last edited by Penitent; 11-07-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Jul 17, 12:47 PM
    • 4,671 Posts
    • 7,436 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Not going to try and find all the rules, but don't you have to advertise externally these days even if it's obvious that the successful candidate is going to be a current staff member?
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Nope, no rules to state a job has to be advertised externally.

At our place the majority of jobs are only advertised internally, they only bother to go external if they don't feel the ideal candidate already works there. In my experience if they go external an external candidate normally get's it.

Seems a waste of time to me if you plan to fill internally but I guess companies are free to invent whatever rules they wish. I think the majority of people who say this are just bitter they didn't get the job and look for excuses rather than just admitting they weren't the right fit for the role.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 11th Jul 17, 1:47 PM
    • 1,500 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    Penitent
    Nope, no rules to state a job has to be advertised externally.

At our place the majority of jobs are only advertised internally, they only bother to go external if they don't feel the ideal candidate already works there. In my experience if they go external an external candidate normally get's it.

Seems a waste of time to me if you plan to fill internally but I guess companies are free to invent whatever rules they wish.
    It is a waste of time. It seems to be mostly publicly-funded orgs that do it. They did it in both NHS Trusts I've worked for and the company I mentioned was partially funded by public money. Did the public sector used to have a reputation for nepotism that they're trying to combat?

I think the majority of people who say this are just bitter they didn't get the job and look for excuses rather than just admitting they weren't the right fit for the role.
    That may be the case for some people, but it wasn't in my case. I've had a lot of interviews and a lot of rejections. I'm happy to admit that the internal candidates were the right people for the job. Frankly, I have so little self-esteem I'm shocked whenever someone does hire me. My only annoyance is that the company wasted my time by interviewing me when it was painfully clear that their minds were made up.
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 11th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 12,707 Posts
    • 12,436 Thanks
    Chris25
    hope it went well jojo
    • Tipsntreats
    • By Tipsntreats 11th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 10,693 Thanks
    Tipsntreats
    Jojo, you are a clever and compassionate poster, probably the same in the real world.
    I think you will do well and wish you all the best.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 11th Jul 17, 7:08 PM
    • 23,225 Posts
    • 90,079 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    Thank you, all - even Pete!

I think it went well, they were throwing questions at me constantly for over an hour (3 interviewers) and they seemed very relaxed and happy.

It's a post with an environmental organisation, the money's great, it's an area I know a fair bit about and I really want it

Just got to wait until they've finished with the other candidates now - and hope that my (poorly) concealed enthusiasm came across as enthusiastic, rather than scary!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter