Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 10th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1,140Posts
    • 177Thanks
    littlerock
    Henlys corner exit from A1 south onto A406 west
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:27 PM
    Henlys corner exit from A1 south onto A406 west 10th Jul 17 at 11:27 PM
    Is there anyone who can point me to an accurate map or explanation of how to exit effectively from the AI south onto the A406 west? I have had to do this twice recently and both times have been misled by my Garmin GPS which tells me to take slip road left off the A1 onto the roundabout. I repeated the manoeuvre twice today and concluded there are 2 slip roads forming the point of a V where they leave the A1 and I have been taking the outer instead of the inner one. But even then I am confused about the best approach lane to be in to approach the 4th (A 406 west) exit from Henlys corne. I have tried to find an accurate map to study the road layout but failed. Can anyone help?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 25,688 Posts
    • 10,208 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    Is google maps/streetview upto date?

Depending on traffic conditions.

Jump onto the M1 and then exit J1 turning right (in a convoluted way)?
    or
    A1 Watford Way keeping right onto A41 Watford Way which changes to A41 Hendon Way. Turn right at roundabout under Brent Cross Flyover?

Or jump over to the A5 towards Edgeware and down?

So many options.
    Last edited by forgotmyname; 11-07-2017 at 12:45 AM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 11th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 2,158 Posts
    • 1,910 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:52 PM
    Jump onto the M1 and then exit J1 turning right (in a convoluted way)?
    or
    A1 Watford Way keeping right onto A41 Watford Way which changes to A41 Hendon Way. Turn right at roundabout under Brent Cross Flyover?
    The above is nothing to do with Henlys Corner.
    If you leave the A1 exit in the middle or right hand lane you will go across Henlys Corner fine and then you need to move in before the next traffic light at which the A1 and A406 fork.
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 11th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:16 PM
    After the A1 joins the A406 East, stay in the LH lane and take the first signed exit for Finchley, Golders Green, A598. This puts you on Charter Way.

Follow Charter way to its other end, and turn right onto the A598 / regents Park Rd, signposted Golders Green and Hampstead.

Keep to the right hand lane of Regents Park Rd (road paint advising A406 West).

As you now approach Henly Corner from the North, keep to the two right hand lanes and follow the road signs for N Circular A406 West / Watford A1 North.

eta: No, I've never driven it but I don't use a sat nav so can still read a map
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:05 PM
    Which roundabout are you referring to, OP?
    If you follow the road signs on the A1, or most sat navs, you'll be directed to turn right into Finchley Lane to join the A406 West; there's no Westbound access directly from the A1 onto the A406, and, - as Joe Horner has said, the only other way is to join the A406 East, then leave it & rejoin as you can't do a U turn, and there's no roundabout at Henley's Corner.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 12th Jul 17, 1:20 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:20 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 1:20 AM
    problem is my sat nav has been advising to take left slip road ! and I wanted to see detailed road map so I could work out ,both correct route and also which lanes to position myself in to turn right onto A406
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 6:54 AM
    OP a quick look at google maps shows the correct route to take

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.590028,-0.2009892,17z

Stay in the left lane as you come from the A1, take the slip road (Charter Way) turn right onto Regents Park Rd and then right onto the A406W but there are easier ways.

The junction isn't designed for turning right onto the A406, that's what the A41 is for.

Where does your journey start from?
    Last edited by Nodding Donkey; 12-07-2017 at 7:00 AM.
    • reeac
    • By reeac 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    reeac
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:14 AM
    OP a quick look at google maps shows the correct route to take

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.590028,-0.2009892,17z

Stay in the left lane as you come from the A1, take the slip road (Charter Way) turn right onto Regents Park Rd and then right onto the A406W but there are easier ways.

The junction isn't designed for turning right onto the A406, that's what the A41 is for.

Where does your journey start from?
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    That suggestion looks good except for getting off the roundabout onto the A406W slip road where the roads appear not to be aligned. Maybe that's a Google glitch although the misalignment shows up both on the map and the satellite views. On the other hand the sat. View shows the appropriate painted arrow on the tarmac so it must be ok.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    That suggestion looks good except for getting off the roundabout onto the A406W slip road where the roads appear not to be aligned. Maybe that's a Google glitch although the misalignment shows up both on the map and the satellite views. On the other hand the sat. View shows the appropriate painted arrow on the tarmac so it must be ok.
    Originally posted by reeac
    yes it does look a bit odd but it does work, I've done it
    • reeac
    • By reeac 12th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    reeac
    Have now looked at Google street level which shows it to be ok although the geometry of the junction is rather awkward.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 17, 9:27 AM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 13,382 Thanks
    AdrianC
    This isn't that hard a junction... Have you considered looking away from the satnav, and following the rather obvious signs and lane markings?
    • reeac
    • By reeac 12th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    reeac
    This isn't that hard a junction... Have you considered looking away from the satnav, and following the rather obvious signs and lane markings?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    If the remark is addressed to me, which it probably is as I'm the one who's been commenting on the junction, then having seen then I would always go by road signs if they are visible rather than by Satnav. I use the latter mainly to get advance warning of junctions. Really, the main point of interest is the discrepancy between the Google map and satellite appearances and the street level view.
    Regarding answering the OPs question I agree that the suggestion of
    Heading initially East along the A406 etc, etc is the best route.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 17, 1:56 PM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 13,382 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I'm presuming that the OP is not local to the area, and has come down the A1.

In which case, I'd suggest they've missed the relevant signage completely...
    https://goo.gl/maps/18fp3oR3Utz
    and
    https://goo.gl/maps/7Zg1pBmCV6z

<edit>
    Sorry, my bad. I'm thinking of Henly's as being where the A1 crosses the North Circ itself. It's the first of those - the A1/M1 junction.

RH lane for A41, and straight down that to Brent Cross.
    Last edited by AdrianC; 12-07-2017 at 2:12 PM.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 12th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,434 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    Sorry, my bad. I'm thinking of Henly's as being where the A1 crosses the North Circ itself. It's the first of those - the A1/M1 junction.

RH lane for A41, and straight down that to Brent Cross.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Not quite, Henlys is where Regents Park Road and Finchley Road meet the A406. So called because there used to be a large car showroom called Henlys there (ISTR is was a British Leyland dealership)
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 15,066 Posts
    • 13,382 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Not quite, Henlys is where Regents Park Road and Finchley Road meet the A406. So called because there used to be a large car showroom called Henlys there (ISTR is was a British Leyland dealership)
    Originally posted by Nodding Donkey
    Ah, the really shitty junction in the middle of the A1 north and south joining/leaving the North Circ. Hence why the whole junction tends to be referred to...

So my point stands... By the time you reach there, you've gone past two clearly signed junctions for A406W...

I was thinking the old Henly's dealership must be Alan Day.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 12th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    littlerock
    my problem has been also that there is so much traffic on the road Inc hgvs, that I cannot read the road signs painted on the road.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin