Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vinnythehat
    • By Vinnythehat 10th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Vinnythehat
    Problem with a raffle prize not being delivered
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:14 PM
    Problem with a raffle prize not being delivered 10th Jul 17 at 11:14 PM
    Hi everyone, my 1st post so please be gentle 😀

Hi, I don't have all the full details, but my daughter was at a charity event for dementia sufferers and purchased a raffle ticket for the sum of £20. The draw took place on the night and she won a washing machine donated by a local company. She was then told by the business man who had made the donation that he had wanted it to go to a person, or organisation, who had connections with someone suffering with dementia. He has subsequently been avoiding contact, or stating when pinned down, that he would deliver the washer to my daughter, but has failed to fulfill his promises on at least two occasions.
    Could someone please advise as to a course of action to resolve this situation ?
    Thanking you in advance.Vinny Rostron
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 10th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:28 PM
    I would contact the organisation that ran the raffle as yes he donated the prize, but the contract is with the organisation that ran the raffle and not delivering a prize is in breach of the 2005 Gambling Act.
    you could also speak to their local authority as they need to be registered to run the raffle.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 11th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 15,188 Posts
    • 10,980 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:51 AM
    I assume as the tickets were £20 a time, ( a lot for a raffle ticket I must say, so well done to the charity) they must have raised a decent amount of money for the charity . That's the way charity events work.The charity needs to highlight this to the donator at the very least. Shocking behaviour .
    • Vinnythehat
    • By Vinnythehat 13th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vinnythehat
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 4:22 PM
    Thank you everyone for your replies.
    We will have to do some more enquiries with the organisation which ran/set up the event. Unfortunately my daughters friend was a speaker at the 'do' and that has made the situation a little more delicate.
    We will report back, hopefully with a good result.
    Vinnythehat.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,708Posts Today

7,615Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin