Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martyn h
    • By martyn h 10th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    martyn h
    First Time Buyer Deposit Query
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:47 PM
    First Time Buyer Deposit Query 10th Jul 17 at 10:47 PM
    Hi,

I'm a first time buyer currently going through the buying process. I have a query with regards to the deposit and when to pay it. As far as I understand, I pay a deposit (10%) at the exchange of contracts and then the remaining at completion. Is this correct?

So in my situation, I'm putting a 20% down which equates to £17200. So, at exchange do I pay £8600 which would be 10% of the purchase price and then at completion the remaining 10% which would be another £8600 plus the mortgage and fees ect?

Also, I have a help to buy ISA. Do I use the amount saved plus the bonus for the deposit at exchange or at completion or does it not matter?

Apologies if these are stupid questions or if they've been asked a million times before.

Thanks in advance!
Page 1
    • glosoli
    • By glosoli 10th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 673 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    glosoli
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:51 PM
    As I understand it the Help to Buy ISA bonus cannot be used for exchange, only at completion. Yes you would put down 10% at exchange, and the remainder at completion.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 41,969 Posts
    • 48,576 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:18 PM
    Hi,

I'm a first time buyer currently going through the buying process. I have a query with regards to the deposit and when to pay it. As far as I understand, I pay a deposit (10%) at the exchange of contracts and then the remaining at completion. Is this correct?
    Yes

So in my situation, I'm putting a 20% down
    No. I suspect you mean you are paying 20% of the purchase price from your own funds. I doubt you are putting down a 20% deposit at Exchange.

which equates to £17200. So, at exchange do I pay £8600 which would be 10% of the purchase price
    See the answer above. You pay 10% of the purchase price at Exchange, as you correctly said.

and then at completion the remaining 10% which would be another £8600 plus the mortgage and fees ect?
    Yes. At Completion you pay the outstanding 90%, + SDLT, + any outstanding legal or other fees, being made up from a combination of your mortgage and your own funds

Also, I have a help to buy ISA. Do I use the amount saved plus the bonus for the deposit at exchange or at completion or does it not matter?
    Ah! this contributes towards the balance required at Completion, thus reducing the amount you need to find from your other funds.
    Originally posted by martyn h
    .................................................. ....................
    • saajan_12
    • By saajan_12 11th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    saajan_12
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:11 AM
    Exchange: pay 10% deposit from your own funds
    Completion: pay 90% of purchase price + SDLT + mortgage fee + solicitors fees.
    This comes from: mortgage + Help to Buy top up + own funds to make up the rest.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,278Posts Today

6,938Users online

Martin's Twitter