Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wantnomoneyworries
    • By wantnomoneyworries 10th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    • 553Posts
    • 5,481Thanks
    wantnomoneyworries
    Help re texting Guatemala
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:37 PM
    Help re texting Guatemala 10th Jul 17 at 10:37 PM
    I hope someone can give me some advice. My son has gone travelling and is in Guatemala at present. He has purchased a local sim which he will be using to keep in touch with his friends over there. However I wondered if I would be able to text him?
    I have tried with my phone but I have a contract that does not seem to let me contact him. I wondered if I got a pay as you go sim it would allow me to at least send a text? Or if anyone else has experience of contacting someone on a mobile in Guatemala? (a quick look on BT it would cost £1.35/minute to phone so not going to do that) We are in contact online but obviously if he has no wifi I would not be able to contact him.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 11th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    • 2,684 Posts
    • 1,154 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:03 AM
    There should be no problem to send an SMS to a Guatemala mobile number, I can't imagine what kind of contract you have that doesn't allow it.

Use the format +502 X??? ???? where X will be a 3,4 or 5. The same for voice call, unless you use the prefix of a cheap call provider (see MSE article).

You can order a free PAYG SIM online from one or more of the networks who offer cheap overseas calls, Delight, Lyca, Lebara etc - check their prices for Guatemala. You may find a voice call is cheaper than texting, a few pence per minute, although I don't think it's one of the cheapest destinations. Forget about using BT or any major network.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 11th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 3,299 Posts
    • 1,687 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    I use fish text for international texts, it displays your own number so the recipient will know who its from

http://www.fishtext.com/

Depending what local Sim company he is using to receive the cost varies from .008p to .02p per text message

Very cheap

Last edited by ballyblack; 11-07-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 11th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 1,234 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    The Tesco call app gives free international texts at the moment

https://www.tescointernationalcalling.com/calling-app/

WhatsApp or Viber are also possible options if you both have data/wi-fi access on the phones.
    • wantnomoneyworries
    • By wantnomoneyworries 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    wantnomoneyworries
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:08 PM
    Thanks for these - I am successfully using facebook messenger but have the phone as back up - will look into the above suggestions thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,384Posts Today

7,376Users online

Martin's Twitter