Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Alexashton25
    • By Alexashton25 10th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tax credits - overpayment or underpayment help
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    Tax credits - overpayment or underpayment help 10th Jul 17 at 10:32 PM
    Hi everyone , just wondering if someone may know or be able to help me out.

    So my income tax year 2014-2015 was just over 17k. I went on Mat leave July 15 - 1st April 16. After sending my renewal in may 2016 obviously minus the £100 a week SMP ( £3,600 ), I received a underpayment in June 2016 of just over £2,000.

    I then lost my job on April 1st 2016 and had to claim income support .. this was from April 16 - April 2017. My income from income support was rubbish and was just over £3,500 for the year April 16- April 17. I started a new job April 18th 2017 and sent of my new renewal on May 23rd stating I think my income for tax year 17/18 be approx £7.100. This job only lasted untill June so 8 weeks and I have had to claim income support again!

    I was wondering if anyone would know if I would be possibly due another overpayment or a underpayment ? It's still being processed but just anxious incase I was overpaid. Thanks!! X
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • 4,321 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:51 AM
    When on income support you get the maximum tax credits so unlikely to be underpaid but there is no way for us to know for sure as we don't have access to your award or know what and when you informed tax credits of any changes.

    You need to report that you've stopped working to tax credits within one month so WTC can be stopped
    • Alexashton25
    • By Alexashton25 11th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    I have done already , thanks !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,109Posts Today

7,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin