Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redyrm
    • By redyrm 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    redyrm
    Mortgage Application Living Apart
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    Mortgage Application Living Apart 10th Jul 17 at 10:17 PM
    Hi. I'm looking for a bit of advise on applying for a mortgage as a couple when we currently live hundreds of miles apart.

I have been with my partner for 10 years and I've recently began a new job 350 miles from home. I live away all week and return for the weekend. Our plan is to buy a place where my new job is and my partner will try get a new job here also.

Would it be possible for us to apply for a joint mortgage based on our current combined income in order to increase our chances of acceptance? So in other words, we want to secure the mortgage now based on our current circumstances, then once it's all finalised my partner will leave her job to relocate.

I'm not sure if lenders will question why we are applying for a joint mortgage hundreds of miles away from my partners current work place.

We have of course done the sums and the mortgage payments would be affordable from my wage alone incase there's a gap between my partner finding a new job.

Hopefully this all makes sense

Thanks
Page 1
    • redyrm
    • By redyrm 11th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    redyrm
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:02 AM
    Any helpful advice anyone? Thanks
    • emlet
    • By emlet 11th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    emlet
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    I cant help too much (am buying myself for only the second time) but having read through my documents last night I know we have to make the mortgage company aware if we are no longer employed (as they can withdraw the offer).

So I suppose a bit different for you if she is not "unemployed" before you complete?
    • redyrm
    • By redyrm 11th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    redyrm
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    Yeah she wouldn't be unemployed until it was complete or maybe not at all if she has something else lined up before moving.

I'm more concerned as to whether or not the lender will question why my partner is applying for a mortgage in; for example London, but works in Edinburgh.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 11th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 54,866 Posts
    • 47,735 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:38 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:38 PM

I'm more concerned as to whether or not the lender will question why my partner is applying for a mortgage in; for example London, but works in Edinburgh.
    Originally posted by redyrm
    Whoever vets the application wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't.

Is renting an option initially. Until your partner gets established.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,171Posts Today

8,492Users online

Martin's Twitter