Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 10th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    • 685Posts
    • 122Thanks
    GTR King
    Polo GTI 2011 (Auto) Help needed
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:07 PM
    Polo GTI 2011 (Auto) Help needed 10th Jul 17 at 10:07 PM
    Ok so I bought polo GTI (white) (Automatic) from garage in Norwich (Saw on auto trader) last September... very good condition & 75,000 miles on the clock & drove it home (Ipswich) Bought oil etc from Halfords.

Car been fine up Until now & driven it loads & to Leeds & back

I drove about 190 miles to Near chippenham last Friday to see family (Filled car up & put tiny bit of oil in) car seemed fine & when I got there it said oil lvl was low... (Didn't use car whilst I was there)

Today I topped oil up & then filled car up... (Halford VW polo oil used it before and been fine) (Oil lvl light went but engine managemeant light came on) when I started driving (Needed to get home for work tomz)

M4/M25 car drove fine (Loads of traffic M25 so was going slow) but when I got on the A12 Engin management light kept flashing every time I quickly accelerated then the car started to slowed down & wouldn't respond for a few seconds....

Car is now parked outside house (Could hear spitting noise just after I turned engine off)

Is this a serious problem? Will it cost me loads of money?

Taking it to local garage tomz
    Last edited by GTR King; 10-07-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    £873.64 best guess.

What is Halford VW Polo oil?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:27 AM
    You think it cost that much?
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:33 AM
    Will it really cost that much?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 18,434 Posts
    • 14,147 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:20 AM
    Will it really cost that much?
    Originally posted by GTR King
    Lighten up will you, it's a joke. How can anyone have any idea what it's going to cost? Take it to a garage (not Halfrauds) and get a diagnosis and an estimate.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:53 AM
    Didn't mean to post that twice & Mum is taking it to garage down the road. So will find out soon what the problem is
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 11th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 911 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 11:57 AM
    Didn't mean to post that twice & Mum is taking it to garage down the road. So will find out soon what the problem is
    Originally posted by GTR King
    Less GTR King and more GTR Prince then Hope it's not too serious...
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 10,219 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    Cheap Halfords oil is no good when your Polo has a hole
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:30 PM
    Oil use may or may not be related to the current issue: Nobody could possibly tell you whether it's going to cost a tenner or a thousand pounds to fix.
    I know that a lot of VW group cars are very fussy on their choice of engine oil and oil consumption is a common issue that can sometimes be improved by changing to a different type of oil. I wouldn't find any form of oil consumption acceptable in a relatively low mileage car unless there was a problem - if it's gone from full to needing oil over a journey of less than 200 miles, there's either a leak or a serious mechanical issue.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    Khcomp...

Car has been fine until now,

this is the warning light, Only flashes when I Accelerate/go over so many revs and car slows down (About 5-10MPH/Comes unresponsive) then is fine again.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warning-light/emissions-control

Hopefully won't cost to much

will change oi to Castrol GT as seem better for the car
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 11th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    khcomp
    The engine management light will come on & stay on if a problem is detected with the engine management or emissions systems. This usually won't affect the car's performance. When it flashes, it means that the car's systems have picked up a more serious fault and the ECU has reverted to 'emergency' or 'limp home' settings, which will allow the car to run on reduced power to get you somewhere safe.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    O thanks for that. Booking it in at local garage & hopefully won't cost loads.

Will see what happens
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 12th Jul 17, 5:25 PM
    • 685 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    GTR King
    Update...

Car got water leak min cost £350 then hopefully no more problems. Booked it in for next Wednesday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

75Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin