Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SPnomore
    • By SPnomore 10th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 390Thanks
    SPnomore
    Is "Avast free" .... free ?
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    Is "Avast free" .... free ? 10th Jul 17 at 10:03 PM
    After suffering with AVG for too many years, especially with all this horrible ZEN nonsense, I decided to look around. Been using Avira for a few weeks but that suddenly started playing up, even after a full reinstall. I'm now using Avast which seems to be playing nice but already I am getting warning about 30 days coming to an end and I "MUST register" for a 12 month license. What exactly do they want from me after 30 days and what happens after a year. Don't want to waste my time seeing if their "free" product works for me, if it is not actually "free".

P.S. My AV needs are minimal. Bitdefender was next on the list
Page 1
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 5,320 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    Yeah; it's free. Avira require you to register with an email address to get a licence. Weirdly, it expires after a year, then you need to reactivate it by clicking a button or something.

It all seems a bit pointless. You could create a disposable email address if you want, but I never got any emails from them (that I can recall).
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 25,672 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    Yeah the Avast expiring each year may get those that do not know about computers to accidently click the download the full trial version not the free basic one. The link to the free one does seem to be a bit harder to spot these days.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:40 AM
    Couple of points:-

1. the current version of Bitdefender free isn't as lightweight as the version from a couple of years ago (I'm running both on different machines) but still slightly the lightest.

2. Avast have bought AVG and there's now starting to be some crossover within the products.

3. Gaming Mode in avast keeps nagscreens down to a bare minimum
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 25,672 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:35 PM
    You installed the full version trial not the free one. The free link is easy to miss grey on grey.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:19 PM
    I clicked on the big bold orange "DOWNLOAD FREE ANTIVIRUS" button on their homepage and it downloaded "avast_free_antivirus_setup_online" and it says "avast free antivirus" on all the page headings" !
    Originally posted by SPnomore
    you probably forgot to register it then, if you don't it reverts to "30 days to register or buy"-type thing. Avoidable f you'd have registered when you installed it
    • GabbaGabbaHey
    • By GabbaGabbaHey 11th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    GabbaGabbaHey
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    What's wrong with just using Windows Defender?
    Philip
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:16 PM
    What's wrong with just using Windows Defender?
    Originally posted by GabbaGabbaHey
    err.....'coz it's the poorest of the mainstream av products out there maybe??
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 12th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    My experience with Avast is that it is ok(-ish), but it seems to consume an awfull lot of processing resource from your PC. So much that it sometimes seems worse than a virus!
    • dosh37
    • By dosh37 12th Jul 17, 5:28 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    dosh37
    I tend to agree with gabbagabbahey.
    Windows Defender in Win 10 seems to be pretty good these days, so probably not much to be gained by using 3rd party tools like Avast unless you vist dodgy websites.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th Jul 17, 11:06 PM
    • 9,693 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    GunJack
    My experience with Avast is that it is ok(-ish), but it seems to consume an awfull lot of processing resource from your PC. So much that it sometimes seems worse than a virus!
    Originally posted by dosh37
    this can be reduced by not using all the !!!!py added tools, all you really need is the 3 main shields and disable or custom install without all the "added value" extras
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 13th Jul 17, 12:37 AM
    • 7,523 Posts
    • 5,320 Thanks
    esuhl
    Originally posted by dosh37
    Yep -- that's why, in the end, it had to go.

this can be reduced by not using all the !!!!py added tools, all you really need is the 3 main shields and disable or custom install without all the "added value" extras
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Absolutely. It used to be fine with just these essentials installed, but performance on machines with Avast seemed to be dropping in the past 6 months or so. Web browsing became intolerable, with page load times getting tedious. (And yes, I really did only have the shields enabled.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,779Posts Today

7,968Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin