Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    • 15,495Posts
    • 24,205Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Driver complaints about car park fine policies hit unprecedented levels in Scotland
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:43 PM
    Driver complaints about car park fine policies hit unprecedented levels in Scotland 10th Jul 17 at 9:43 PM
    From the NoToMob forum:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/jul/10/smart-parking-driver-complaints-fines-car-parks?CMP=share_btn_tw
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 10th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 16,504 Posts
    • 20,667 Thanks
    Redx
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:55 PM
    now that is what I calll a well written and factual article and a great reference for the uninitiated

required reading for ALL newbies , regardless of which of the 4 "countries" they are in

I find this quote from those fools at the DCLG annoying after they have had 2.3 YEARS to think about it , especially as the last parliament promised to sort it out before the end of that parliament

The government, meanwhile, declines to say whether it plans to force the appeals services to appoint an independent auditor. “Ministers are carefully reviewing the case for reform of the private parking sector and further details will be released in due course,” the Department for Communities and Local Government tells The Observer.
    is Mrs May really listening ?

or Marcus Jones ?

watch Scotland MSP`s sort it out before their english counterparts !!!
    Last edited by Redx; 10-07-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 10th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:32 PM
    Really bad article, once again giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I REPEAT FOR ALL SCOTS WHO ARE READING THIS, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ENGLISH NEWSPAPER AS THEY ARE TALKING RUBBISH!

There is currently an unprecedented assault on Scottish motorists from these English parking companies thanks to the introduction of Simple Procedure a few months ago, combined with thr disgraceful Carly Mackie court case and also the recent Sarah Gegan case who has unfortunately single handedly peeded off the Edinburgh Sheriffs against motorists thanks to her woeful performance under cross examination when she was asked who was driving and completely fell apart when her 'amnesia' was picked to shreds by the Sherrif (WHY are people advised to lie about this to Sheriffs when all it does is completely discredit you and destroys all the other potentially winnable arguments that you will have like bad signage?! Not to mention the damage it then does to the Defender In the next case heard by that Sheriif).

I wonder if the Guardian will indemnify Scottish motorists who follow this advice and then end up in court, with a belligerent Sheriff demanding to know who the driver was and not accepting "I can't remember" for an answer.

Im frankly tired of this English-centric advice we keep seeing which is misleading Scottish motorists!!! I don't know enough about the situation in NI to comment.

No doubt the usual English people will flood in to defend their bad Lazy advice that they have been dishing out here for years and causing damage to REAL people who listened and were then left unrepresented when Simple Procedure papers were served! No one here helped Carly but she is somehow blamed for following the advice given by posters here. If you are Scottish try the Scottish Parking Facebook groups and Barry Beavis facebook and Tony Taylor, who all have a track record of being experts in how to successfully defend Simple Procedure claims.
    Last edited by Ryandavis1959; 10-07-2017 at 11:37 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 51,502 Posts
    • 65,111 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:37 PM
    giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.
    It doesn't say that. IMHO the article is a good one.

It would be madness to suggest that people in Scotland should say who was driving.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 10th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    It doesn't say that. IMHO the article is a good one.

It would be madness to suggest that people in Scotland should say who was driving.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    And when the Sheriff asks who was driving, what should they say? And if they at this point admit to being the driver was do you think it does to their credibility if they have previously refused to answer? Part of Simple Procedure is "should this claim be directed at any other individual" if you do not name the driver here then you have wasted court time and Sheriffs will come down hard on you. Do you know how this potentially impacts on Costs? This is not capped like in England.

I think Sheriffs and Scots Law are very different beasts to what takes place in England, and it is 'high time' people are given some honest advice on parking in Scotland and the risks under Simple Procedure.

I am going to phone this journalist tomorrow if she Takes calls to see if I can get her to amend this article.

Thanks for your civil response. :beer:
    Last edited by Ryandavis1959; 10-07-2017 at 11:45 PM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    • 51,502 Posts
    • 65,111 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:48 PM
    You are posting once again, in an inflammatory way that suggests your interests lie with a parking firm. You come here and cause alarm, where none should exist. In Scotland claims are still VERY rare, and it is true to say that a keeper cannot be held liable. It is also not the norm to be asked by a Sheriff who the driver was.

And for someone with a real interest in Scottish court cases, one wonders why can't you spell Sheriff? Three different versions appear in your post #3.

And finally, the fact you have insider knowledge of two recent cases (one very recent) suggests to us even more that you have a parking firm interest and unwelcome agenda.

Even if I am wrong (and I don't think I am because rats from parking firms are easy to sniff out, have always been obvious over the years here), at the very least, you clearly come here to stir up distress and confusion.

And that's not acceptable on this forum.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 10-07-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:49 PM
    Really bad article, once again giving wrong advice that in Scotland you cannot be taken to Sherrifs court under Simple Procedure unless the driver is known.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!

I REPEAT FOR ALL SCOTS WHO ARE READING THIS, DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS ENGLISH NEWSPAPER AS THEY ARE TALKING RUBBISH!

There is currently an unprecedented assault on Scottish motorists from these English parking companies thanks to the introduction of Simple Procedure a few months ago, combined with thr disgraceful Carly Mackie court case and also the recent Sarah Gegan case who has unfortunately single handedly peeded off the Edinburgh Sheriffs against motorists thanks to her woeful performance under cross examination when she was asked who was driving and completely fell apart when her 'amnesia' was picked to shreds by the Sherrif (WHY are people advised to lie about this to Sheriffs when all it does is completely discredit you and destroys all the other potentially winnable arguments that you will have like bad signage?! Not to mention the damage it then does to the Defender In the next case heard by that Sheriif).

I wonder if the Guardian will indemnify Scottish motorists who follow this advice and then end up in court, with a belligerent Sheriff demanding to know who the driver was and not accepting "I can't remember" for an answer.

Im frankly tired of this English-centric advice we keep seeing which is misleading Scottish motorists!!! I don't know enough about the situation in NI to comment.

No doubt the usual English people will flood in to defend their bad Lazy advice that they have been dishing out here for years and causing damage to REAL people who listened and were then left unrepresented when Simple Procedure papers were served! No one here helped Carly but she is somehow blamed for following the advice given by posters here. If you are Scottish try the Scottish Parking Facebook groups and Barry Beavis facebook and Tony Taylor, who all have a track record of being experts in how to successfully defend Simple Procedure claims.
    Originally posted by Ryandavis1959
    that name rings a bell ,whats his present job , and what was his last job ?

was it the chap mentioned in this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5214600&highlight=tony+taylor

hang on , lets go to the post that matters http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70526956&postcount=8
    Last edited by pappa golf; 10-07-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 10th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:55 PM
    You are posting once again, in an inflammatory way that suggests your interests lie with a parking firm. You come here and cause alarm, where none should exist. In Scotland claims are still VERY rare, and it is true to say that a keeper cannot be held liable. It is also not the norm to be asked by a Sheriff who the driver was.

And for someone with a real interest in Scottish court cases, one wonders why can't you spell Sheriff? Three different versions appear in your post #3.

And finally, the fact you have insider knowledge of two cases suggests to us even more that you have a parking firm agenda and come here to stir up distress and confusion.
    Thanks for ignoring all of my points and trying to discredit me in the eyes of others by mocking my spelling (it's almost midnight and I'm writing in darkness on a phone!) and accusing me of working for a parking firm.

I am speechless that you actually think that I am causing distress, when Scottish people see my posts and send me private messages asking for advice. My advice is always the same: go to Facebook if you want Scottish advice! That's where I get my information from, we all very active on Facebook and it would be good if you would join to learn what is going on as clearly you are "out of the loop".
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 10th Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:56 PM
    so seem to have quickly decided not to reply to my post ,,,,,,,,,silence is ,,,
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 10th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    that name rings a bell ,whats his present job , and what was his last job ?

was it the chap mentioned in this thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5214600&highlight=tony+taylor

hang on , lets go to the post that matters http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=70526956&postcount=8
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Thanks for sharing that, I was not aware people were having issues with him. Barry Beavis seems to be the main guy on Facebook these days anyway, if you join his groups and get invited to the private Scottish group you will get the insider scoop and information on how to help.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 11:58 PM
    • 51,502 Posts
    • 65,111 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    go to Facebook...That's where I get my information from,
    Personally I would be embarrassed to type that.

And I don't need to go to Facebook to talk to Barry Beavis, thanks anyway.

• Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 10th Jul 17, 11:59 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    so seem to have quickly decided not to reply to my post ,,,,,,,,,silence is ,,,
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Give me chance laddy I'm not a fast writer without my HB
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Jul 17, 12:02 AM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Give me chance laddy I'm not a fast writer without my HB
    well you now know the facts , and will be able to see why people laugh at your comments ,
    • Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 11th Jul 17, 12:11 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    Getting things back on track, it is a DISGRACE that there is no independent appeales in Scotland. I was hoping that the SNP would have included something about it in their manifesto but there was surprisingly nothing despite what some MSP's have said.

Murdo Fraser might struggle to get his bill passed considering what he was coming out with about NS at the latest Election.

Hopefully this is something we can agree on! It should be a priority for a free appeals service to come into force in Scotland. And you can get away with telling them you wasn't the driver without consequence!.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 51,502 Posts
    • 65,111 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Oh here we go, an agenda to get the IAS in Scotland. No, we do not agree.

What a surprise that a parking firm would want that, and posts in such an ungrammatical way (ex-clamper, perhaps?).

The IAS is doing more than enough damage to consumers in England and Wales, but then, you would know that.

• Ryandavis1959
    • By Ryandavis1959 11th Jul 17, 12:22 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Ryandavis1959
    Oh here we go, an agenda to get the IAS in Scotland. No, we do not agree.

What a surprise that a parking firm would want that, and posts in such an ungrammatical way (ex-clamper, perhaps?).

The IAS is doing more than enough damage to consumers in England and Wales, but then, you would know that.
    I really don't get your belligerence but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you are also attacking another new person in the court claims post!

If you actually read what Murdo is proposing it would be a fully independent appeals service, not run by Parking firms and definitely pro consumer. Unless you have some ulterior motive I don't see this as being anything but a great thing to support. I'll even hold my nose and back Murdo even though he hates the SNP.

Obviously things would be different if Scotland was independent but that ship has sailed for a time.

Edit - fyi if you're not aware Murdo Fraser is a Tory MSP who is the most vocal critic.
    Last edited by Ryandavis1959; 11-07-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Jul 17, 12:27 AM
    • 51,502 Posts
    • 65,111 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Personally I think 'appeals' simply give a false air of legitimacy to parking scumbags.

IMHO the industry should be banned like the clampers were, no legislation should be created to enable or 'legitimise' them like it was in England in 2012.

What would parking scumbags do if they actually had to get a real job? No transferable skills, aggressive, no admin skills, no customer service ethic - useless to Society, the lot of them.

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 11th Jul 17, 12:30 AM
    • 7,648 Posts
    • 7,895 Thanks
    pappa golf
    I really don't get your belligerence but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you are also attacking another new person in the court claims post!

If you actually read what Murdo is proposing it would be a fully independent appeals service, not run by Parking firms and definitely pro consumer. Unless you have some ulterior motive I don't see this as being anything but a great thing to support. I'll even hold my nose and back Murdo even though he hates the SNP.

Obviously things would be different if Scotland was independent but that ship has sailed for a time.

Edit - fyi if you're not aware Murdo Fraser is a Tory MSP who is the most vocal critic.

the english system is not run by Parking firms , however parking "firms" pay to be a member and therefor get access to the DVLA , how could a system in scotland work , would the scotish goverment (your idea of who would run it) grant access to the DVLA , and would they have to charge parking Cos a fee for this?

if so , they would then become the judge and jury , appeal and sentencing , oh hang on , thre IPC do this already , an appeal system , and a full solisitor back up
    Last edited by pappa golf; 11-07-2017 at 12:36 AM.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 11th Jul 17, 8:30 AM
    • 6,340 Posts
    • 8,149 Thanks
    beamerguy
    For a change, a newspaper that actually says it as it is.

@Ryandavis1959
    Your agenda is clearly designed to be disruptive on this forum

From what you say, Murdo should not only act quickly to get
    proper regulation in place and to have a word in the Sheriffs ear
    to explain the parking scam in great detail

Judges in England and Wales are waking up to this scam so why
    not wake up the Sheriffs

Maybe Murdo can do this but it will probably end up with false
    claims and promises as does Marcus Jones MP of the DCLG

In the meantime for Scotland, you tell us, on what grounds a PPC
    could bring this in front of a sheriff if they do not know who the
    driver is/was .... we are very interested ?
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 7,770 Posts
    • 7,869 Thanks
    pogofish
    I wonder if the head of complaints against Smart had any bearing on the decision to sack them from my work's car parks - esp as we were railroaded into getting them by the council who required "parking management" as part of a raft of planning conditions.

Sadly we are not PPC-free just yet as they have got an even more toothless bunch of jokers to replace them but I noticed they are FTM being much more selective compared to Smart in the last few months of their predation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,280Posts Today

8,592Users online

Martin's Twitter