Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TreeBee13
    • By TreeBee13 10th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    TreeBee13
    National Insurance & Tax
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    National Insurance & Tax 10th Jul 17 at 9:22 PM
    Hi, hopefully someone out there can help? My partner is just changing his job and has given details of his NI number to the new employer. They have discovered that the NI Number that my partner gave them and has been using since the year dot (he's 57), does not relate to him? My partner then phoned HMRC who could not find any trace of him what-so-ever, despite having always worked since leaving school?
    My partner was born and raised in this Country and has never lived anywhere else...he was in the Army in his late teens/early 20's, and has never been unemployed.
    What we would like to know is, who has benefited from his tax and NI Contributions since the age of 16??
    He is really concerned and extremely worried about the affect this may have on his state pension.
    Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?
Page 1
    • TcpnT
    • By TcpnT 10th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    TcpnT
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:31 PM
    Has he double and triple checked the NI number he gave ?

Surely over the course of the last 41 years he must have had some kind of correspondence with HMRC that would have included his name, address and NI number.

Sounds like a simple mix up to me.
    • TreeBee13
    • By TreeBee13 10th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TreeBee13
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:10 PM
    All he's had is P60's from his employers and P45's all with the same NI number? He's never had any letters from HMRC - probably explains why now!
    I hope it's just a simple mix-up, but we are really getting concerned now - especially because he's due to start a new job next week.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 22,015 Posts
    • 12,698 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:17 PM
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-1637963/Pensioners-left-penniless-by-NI-blunders.html
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 35,406 Posts
    • 45,567 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:57 PM
    Tell him to ring and ask for a pension forecast and see what they say
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,226 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    First of all, dont panic. It can be sorted will take time but can be done, this is more common than people think.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/national-insurance-enquiries-for-employees-and-individuals

This is the actual contribution agency, they may be the best place to deal with. They will look into it, and if need be give him the correct NI by post. It can be something simple as two numbers transposed. Any previous records are not lost, they will go back through his working history which he will need to supply ie which employers and dates he worked for them and move if he has the wrong NI
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 11th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 9,601 Posts
    • 7,167 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:33 AM
    He may also want to check on any employer's pension schemes (including Forces pension) he may have contributed to over the years...best go through them all and get sorted in one go, although you probably need the NI number sorting first in order to do this.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin