Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 10th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 9,788Posts
    • 14,811Thanks
    melbury
    Very frustrated......
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    Very frustrated...... 10th Jul 17 at 9:12 PM
    I have been trying to switch on the latest collective thing. However, I just about get to the end of the process and (for the first time ever) I have been asked to fill in my electricity meter number. So I phone Energyhelpline to verify exactly what this number is (having waited for ages to speak to someone) and am told that it should be shown on my bills, which it is.

Trouble is that I cannot complete the process because when I enter the number it keeps saying my meter number is not recognised

Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Don't know what to do now - have just about given up on that switch. There are a lot of other competitive quotes, but they are from all of these "new" companies who don't have any or much feedback.

Thanks.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 1
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 625 Posts
    • 544 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    It could be the MPAN or the serial number on the meter..suppliers can get the correct Mpan (google how to see this on bills because its a bit confusing how its printed ) from the serial number which is on the meter..Gas meter has a 13 digit number for metric meters, much shorter for Imperial meters..Electric serial number varies in length
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,202 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:31 AM
    I've switched gas and electric several times - the last time was last weekend and never been asked for a meter serial number.

The only info I was asked for was my address.
    • anniecave
    • By anniecave 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 2,153 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    anniecave
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 5:46 PM
    Sometimes serial numbers are shown on bills. But more often they are not. The numbers you probably need are your:
    Electricty supply number which starts with an S and it's the bottom line of numbers (13 digits) which you need AND
    Gas M number which I think is always 10 digits
    These are always shown on your bills.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 15th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 556 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    • 15th Jul 17, 6:19 PM
    Electricty supply number which starts with an S and it's the bottom line of numbers (13 digits) which you need
    Originally posted by anniecave
    It's the top line that's the 13 digits number you need, not the bottom.
    The S straddles the top/bottom lines. (and is also not needed)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

1,572Users online

Martin's Twitter