Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 10th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    Laminate in a shared ownership
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    Laminate in a shared ownership 10th Jul 17 at 8:44 PM
    Hello,

I know it's a touchy subject putting laminate flooring in a top floor flat but on the ground floor of a 3 bed house would you normally have to get permission? All my lease says is "to provide carpets or such other suitable floor coverings to the floors of the premises"

Regards
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 4,628 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:03 PM
    I know it's a touchy subject putting laminate flooring in a top floor flat but on the ground floor of a 3 bed house would you normally have to get permission? All my lease says is "to provide carpets or such other suitable floor coverings to the floors of the premises"
    Originally posted by Simba-ali34
    You only need to get permission, if your lease says you need to get permission.

This might sound a bit pedantic... but based on the snippet of the lease you quote, it's not a question of getting permission, it's a question of whether laminate flooring is a suitable floor covering.

From what you say, I'd say it's suitable. But I guess you could ask your freeholder if they agree that it's suitable. But they may or may not express an opinion.
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 10th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:06 PM
    A couple of pages later on the lease it says "not to make any alterations or addition of a non structural nature to the interior of the premises without previous written consent of the landlord" is laminate classed as a alteration? Or do they mean more like replacing a toilet etc?
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 6,071 Posts
    • 4,841 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:29 PM
    I would consider laminate a suitable floor covering in a house and not consider it an alteration unless it involved removing a fixed floor such as parquet.
    Last edited by Norman Castle; 10-07-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 10th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:52 PM
    The only reason I'm asking is because it's a new build with no flooring down and I can get laminate fitted at very short notice so I can move in. Getting permission would take a long time
    • charco
    • By charco 10th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    charco
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:08 PM
    If there's no flooring then presumably they're expecting you to provide the carpet or alternative flooring? If that's the case then laminate should be fine.

I'd suggest putting down the thick underlay (the green board-like stuff) rather than the rubbish thin foam stuff. Your neighbour will thank you for this as it'll reduce any noise transfer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

9,117Users online

Martin's Twitter