Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 10th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 162Thanks
    rjwr
    Amenity Land
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:41 PM
    Amenity Land 10th Jul 17 at 7:41 PM
    Hi all,

i have the opportunity to purchase a piece of land, roughly an acre in size. The land is amenity land and is not currently fenced in.

I'm happy for the local population to continue using the land if they currently are, but i would like to fence the perimeter and put a gate on the land, not locked, but the purpose is so my dogs can be let off without them running away.

anyone with experience with thi sort of land purchase?
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jul 17, 8:18 AM
    • 22,887 Posts
    • 88,009 Thanks
    Davesnave
    OK, well, it's pasture land, not what I'd call 'amenity land' at all. Someone has been taking a hay crop and giving it enough attention to keep it free from docks, thistles etc. It could be fenced properly, though its situation means a 2m deer fence might look very out of place.

There are two neighbours with expensive-looking properties that will have an interest too, I'd imagine, and the £5k guide price is very fanciful for something that would take Jemima's pony.

Not my area but I would say £20k, minimum.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 16th Jul 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4,435 Posts
    • 18,534 Thanks
    Slinky
    Fair enough; if other people have access how are you going to deal with them opening the gate while your dogs are running loose and letting them out?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Padlocks?..
    • molerat
    • By molerat 16th Jul 17, 10:07 AM
    • 16,740 Posts
    • 10,969 Thanks
    molerat
    They are not going to allow you a 6ft fence there, hedging and 5 bar gate yes, forget about it !
    Last edited by molerat; 16-07-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Have you done any investigation into the wayleaves easements and ROWs?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 16th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 9,474 Posts
    • 7,478 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Agree with Davesnave £20K seems a far more realistic price than £5K
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Padlocks?..
    Originally posted by Slinky
    If the gates are padlocked then others don't have access. This whole thread started from the idea that he was going to preserve other people's access. if he doesn't have to do that; it's a whole different question.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 22,887 Posts
    • 88,009 Thanks
    Davesnave
    If the gates are padlocked then others don't have access. This whole thread started from the idea that he was going to preserve other people's access. if he doesn't have to do that; it's a whole different question.
    I imagine the padlock would just be used when the dogs were being exercised, which would represent only a small fraction of the day.

This would be no different from an equestrian eventer keeping people out of the field for safety reasons when using it for jumping practice.

It's a field, not open heathland, so assuming no RoWs, people can't expect to wander in at any time without regard to what's going on there.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 17th Jul 17, 7:11 AM
    • 1,598 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    unforeseen
    You do have ROWS through fields. It's a normal part of country life.

It's a dangerous assumption to say no ROWs. That is why I asked whether that info had actually been checked.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 17th Jul 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,772 Posts
    • 2,618 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I imagine the padlock would just be used when the dogs were being exercised, which would represent only a small fraction of the day.

This would be no different from an equestrian eventer keeping people out of the field for safety reasons when using it for jumping practice.

It's a field, not open heathland, so assuming no RoWs, people can't expect to wander in at any time without regard to what's going on there.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    If we assume no RoWs then he would be far better off not giving anyone access to it at all.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Jul 17, 8:04 AM
    • 22,887 Posts
    • 88,009 Thanks
    Davesnave
    You do have ROWS through fields. It's a normal part of country life.

It's a dangerous assumption to say no ROWs. That is why I asked whether that info had actually been checked.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    No one declared there were definitely no rights of way; my assumption was hypothetical, not actual, just like the horse rider!

What you said was valid and should be checked, but it isn't 'dangerous' to think hypothetically about practicalities. Its sensible.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 17th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 22,887 Posts
    • 88,009 Thanks
    Davesnave
    If we assume no RoWs then he would be far better off not giving anyone access to it at all.
    Well, that's up to him.

In my part of the countryside, where fields are mainly arable in nature, it's been customary for farmers not to have gates on them. Not a lot of point.....until recently.

Now, with all the tips charging quite high amounts for waste disposal, I see gates and padlocks, or other devices, appearing at field entrances within a few miles of town. Fly tipping is much increased.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 17th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 162 Thanks
    rjwr
    thanks all for your feedback. Yes i agree with the price indication, ive been aware of that from day one.

There are no right of access through the land, but access to the land i need to check
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,461Posts Today

8,046Users online

Martin's Twitter