Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MidAtlantic
    • By MidAtlantic 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MidAtlantic
    Mortgage from UK Lender for USA Property - Advice Needed!
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    Mortgage from UK Lender for USA Property - Advice Needed! 10th Jul 17 at 6:56 PM
    Hi - does anyone have experience of this?

My girlfriend (US Citizen) and I (UK Citizen, not yet permanent resident) are looking to buy a house in the US. She is ex-military, but now in full-time education and the money to service the mortgage will come from me alone for the next year until she graduates.

Because we're not married, we're unable to get a VA mortgage and it also seems to be hugely complicated to get a mortgage myself as a non-national.

I understand that there are UK lenders who will finance US properties, but I can't seem to find any. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice? Anything would be gratefully received, thanks.
Page 1
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 10th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:02 PM
    I can't see how a UK lender will lend on an asset which is valued in USD.

I prepare to be corrected though.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

955Posts Today

6,896Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Today's Twitter poll: If you had to pick one, who do you think is coming out best so far in the Brexit negotiations, UK or EU?

• It isn't an article by me.I don't write for express. They just cunningly report my tv appearances as if I did. https://t.co/0DDfDU7Kbp

• Follow Martin