Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • susanmale59
    • By susanmale59 10th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    susanmale59
    PPi re deceased husband
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:29 PM
    PPi re deceased husband 10th Jul 17 at 6:29 PM
    Good evening all

I have submitted a claim to Bradford & Bingley regarding PPi on my late husbands, & my joint mortgage.
    I was present at the meeting when this was sold and actually made them remove the unemployment element as husband was self employed. The mortgage was conditional on insurance being taken, but we weren't advised of this til the day we went in to sign!
    Bradford & Bingley have responded saying that as PPi element was only for my husband, I have to provide either a Grant of Probte, or Grant of letters of administration.
    I don't have these documents.
    We'd had some months to prepare after his terminal diagnosis.Our house was in joint names and set up to pass straight to me, the one joint bank account transferred to my name when I produced his death certificate, his pension and life insurance were written in trust to be paid to me.
    There was an ancient will from when our children were little but that was leaving everything to other spouse, & provision for the children if we should both die.I have had a new will written up since he died 4 years ago.
    Is it to late to apply for Grant of letters of administration? And would it be prohibitively expensive? (PPI reclaim would probably be £1k-£1.5k)
    Or do I have enough proof of my husbands intentions to submit complaint straight to Financial Ombudsman?
    I would be very grateful for any advice or opinions.
    Regards
    Sue XxX
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 12,678 Posts
    • 12,936 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:44 PM
    You can't go to FOS if you haven't exhausted the B&B complaint process.

Before spending further money, check whether your complaint reasons are valid. If it was a condition of the mortgage, you can't use that as a mis sale reason.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 7,254 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    -taff
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    Your PPI complaint will be zero unless you have better reasons.

If it was a condition ofthe mortgage, then it was a condition of the mortgage and you have no complaint there.
    You have no rpoof of your husbands intentions re the PPI complaint, and if B&B want proof you can complain on his behalf, thn that's what they want.
    Look on the gov.uk website fo help with the admin letter
    • susanmale59
    • By susanmale59 10th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susanmale59
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:14 PM
    Hi
    I remember the day very well..survey done & paid for, mortgage offer received, visit to solicitors with costs incurred & on final visit to B&B to sign all paperwork she slid this leaflet across the table and said 'oh, and you've got to have this'!! I don't even think she expected me to read it!!
    I think that mis-selling!?!
    Sue XxX
    Last edited by susanmale59; 10-07-2017 at 8:16 PM.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 7,254 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    -taff
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    No, that's not misselling.

It's a similar thing in a way to mortgage companies insisting on buildings insurance now.
    • susanmale59
    • By susanmale59 10th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    susanmale59
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    I've just checked on the mis-selling board post and feel sure it qualifies under point A

Sue XxX
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4,402 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:51 PM
    feel sure it qualifies under point A
    It may have been compulsory. Also, they did not have to tell you, it can be bought elsewhere.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 19,041 Posts
    • 9,162 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 10:21 AM
    I've just checked on the mis-selling board post and feel sure it qualifies under point A
    Originally posted by susanmale59
    PPI on credit cards and loans was always an optional choice and so anyone who was told otherwise was indeed mis-sold.

For mortgages, however, it was quite often the case that MPPI was compulsory. There is no point complaining that you were told it was compulsory if it actually was. You need to understand that any complaint you might make needs to be accurate and so it's essential that you first check whether the MPPI was optional prior to expressing your concern.

It's also likely that any unemployment cover the insurance provided would still have covered your self-employed husband. A moot point since you insisted that this segment was removed.

As you've been told already (post #2), don't spend any money on Probate documents etc until you are certain you have a valid complaint.

You can't approach the Ombudsman until the Bank issue a full and final rejection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,784Posts Today

6,711Users online

Martin's Twitter