Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dave8505
    • By Dave8505 10th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Dave8505
    Council issues parking ticket with wrong number plate
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:01 PM
    Council issues parking ticket with wrong number plate 10th Jul 17 at 6:01 PM
    Hello everyone, wanted to know where I stand with this.

I was parked on a busy and narrow road, no room for cars to pass, parked 6 inches on the pavement to allow access, particularly for buses, got a ticket. Fairly straightforward if frustrating, but on the ticket the last digit of my number plate is written wrong every time it's mentioned, and upon attempting to see the details online the incorrect number plate is stored there too. I'm waiting to see if photos were taken, but I wanted to get some advice on whether or not this gives me any legal basis to avoid paying this fine? It wasn't a paid parking zone, or even single yellow, and it's fairly clear from looking at the road that your car is at risk of being hit if you don't park on the pavement- none of which changes the law, but it does make me far more willing to try and find a loophole to get out of it if possible.

Any advice would be great.
Page 1
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 10th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 26,239 Posts
    • 33,321 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:05 PM
    Getting the number/letters wrong is usually fatal to a council ticket, they are not allowed to change them afterwards. Unless they check the pictures they won't sent you any paperwork as the DVLA will send them the wrong address. Just wait and see what happens. Keep records of all paperwork given/sent.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 51,818 Posts
    • 65,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    Seconded, as long as you own this car (not leased/company car/hired) then sit tight and you should hear no more from the Council. They can't 'put it right' so can't issue a NTO. If they do, come back! Easy to win this one.

Do not appeal, no phone call, NOTHING. Not unless they send a NTO. After 6 months you are clear.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Orford
    • By Orford 10th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 1,614 Thanks
    Orford
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:10 PM
    I'd just write to the council and say you found pcn no. xxxxx on your windscreen with a VRM that doesn't relate to your vehicle or any vehicle that you have ever owned.

They will realise they've cocked up, but can't re-issue a correct pcn and will cancel the ticket, but more crucially won't chase the other entirely innocent VRM owner, who then won't have the aggravation of dealing with a PCN they know nothing about

But keep the pcn on the off chance that they try and serve an NTO to you.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 10th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,055 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:32 PM
    You can stand wherever you want but a wrong reg number is absolutely fatal to any legit/council ticket. They cannot go back and correct it even if they have your number correct in photos/patrollers notes etc and if they did try-it on, PATAS wouldn't.
    • Dave8505
    • By Dave8505 10th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Dave8505
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    Thanks for the swift replies everyone! I've now seen the photos (he took like 20, including totally random ones of nearby houses??) and my number plate is all over a lot of them. Obviously you guys have way more experience in this, and I figured the incorrect number could have been an issue, but how certain am I not to be bitten hard by this down the line? I'm happy to sit and wait given it's the consensus but I'm curious as to the process if they do recover my information and send notices directly to me.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 10th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 15,945 Posts
    • 24,738 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    They will realise they've cocked up, but can't re-issue a correct pcn and will cancel the ticket,
    ..... and fix an appointment with SpecSavers for their CEO.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 51,818 Posts
    • 65,448 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:11 PM
    how certain am I not to be bitten hard by this down the line?
    100% - as long as, if they do try a NTO, you don't ignore it. This cannot go anywhere, honestly, it's fatal to Council PCNs.

For peace of mind you might prefer Orford's suggestion in post #4 as he knows what's what with Council PCNs.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin