Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 10th Jul 17, 5:41 PM
    • 483Posts
    • 739Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    RCBO unit
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:41 PM
    RCBO unit 10th Jul 17 at 5:41 PM
    Hello.

I'm currently selling but remember the survey stating it was a '3' as no electrical inspection report could be provided when I bought it.

I'm wondering whether to change the current unit to an RCBO unit. It was last checked in 2013 and passed, but new regulations have come into play since then.

In the South East, approx how much would I be looking at for a 2 bedroom property?
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    Why would you want to change it? If it was checked and is safe, what makes you think its unsafe now?

Gas and electrical installations will almost always have a 3 on a homebuyers survey as a surveyor cannot make any comment on these as he is not qualified to do so. We got a 2 for electrics on our homebuyers survey only because by chance the surveyor was there while the electrician doing our EICR was and was able to speak to him.
    • goodwithsaving
    • By goodwithsaving 10th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    goodwithsaving
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:52 PM
    Just to save the buyer running away if they get a 3 on their survey.

Given it's not an RCBO unit, wouldn't it fail if tested now? So if they got a 3, tested it and it failed - my buyer would no doubt want a lot of money taken off the sale price.

Any work I've had done is through a registered electrician and I have the certification, I'm just so nervous with the whole process I don't want anything going wrong.
    Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self. –Nathan W. Morris
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:37 PM
    As I said before, any homebuyer survey will give the electrics and gas a score of 3 and advise the buyer has them tested separately.

There's a difference between not meeting current regs and being unsafe. The majority of houses probably have wiring that does not meet current regs. It's not an issue so long as the installation is safe. It's only really a problem when you need to have work done that requires work back at the CU, it will then need bringing up to current regs so the work can be signed off.

How old is the existing wiring?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 1,592 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:26 PM
    The new 18th edition of the "wiring regs" is now in draft. So even if you get the electrics upgraded to the latest standard, it will be obsolete again in a couple of years.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,476Posts Today

5,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin