Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ITZ
    • By ITZ 10th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 4Thanks
    ITZ
    Am I entitled to anything?
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    Am I entitled to anything? 10th Jul 17 at 5:27 PM
    Hello just a few questions here.

I left my full time job at the end of June, and started another one with a smaller company. I was under the impression that it was a full time job, guaranteed hours. I worked 37.5 hours last week, however this week I'm not working at all as the place is shut! I was not told of this before I started.
    I am back there next week, however the employer isnt sure if its gonna work out or not(its a hard job, she knew I had no experience in it though).

I am getting 5 days of holiday pay off my last employer at the end of this month, and up to now I'm due a week off my new job.

But I'm without pay this week.

I live with a family member(£400 a month). So I have about 2 weeks including owed holidays coming in this month. But with the new job maybe not working out, would I be able to make a claim for anything should the job end next week? Like are you only allowed to earn so much.

Also, should I end up losing the job and am left with no income after this month, would living with a family member stop me claiming housing benefit?
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 10th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10,865 Posts
    • 7,093 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:02 PM
    , would living with a family member stop me claiming housing benefit?
    Originally posted by ITZ
    yes
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/housing_benefit/housing_benefit_renting_from_family
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 35,702 Posts
    • 45,973 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:12 PM
    What does your contract say regarding houts
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,092 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    Some companies do close completely during local holiday periods, so they don't have to struggle through the summer with a skeleton staff, which is too small to cope well. (This was the case in the Potteries, during Potters' Holidays, where all the companies closes for two weeks in late June, just keeping maintenance staff to service kilns etc).

If with the company longer, holiday pay would have been made to cover holiday/closure dates, so closing for one week doesn't mean the job isn't full time; just that it would be paid holiday time, if the pay had been earned throughout the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

987Posts Today

6,127Users online

Martin's Twitter