Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 10th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 22Thanks
    Jkbc90
    Advice please - FTB Nationwide awaiting offer
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    Advice please - FTB Nationwide awaiting offer 10th Jul 17 at 5:22 PM
    Hi guys,

    I'm sure you're sick of me posting so much

    We had a DIP from Nationwide, all paperwork submitted, broker has just called us and said that Nationwide have contacted them and now are offering £4k less than had originally been agreed (on key facts etc) No mention of affordability (all paperwork matched the figures that were on the application)

    Broker didn't say much, we were a bit taken aback. Now I have had a think, could this be a result of the valuation? (I know that's something I should have asked the broker but I was just a bit taken aback and they are closed now until Friday)

    Apparently they're willing to give us the mortgage under the new amount.. totally baffled. First time doing this and feeling massively out of my depth.
Page 1
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 10th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    Sorry I feel like I should add that we haven't been asked for any additional paperwork etc, I could kick myself now I've had time for it to digest that I didn't ask everything I'm thinking now.

    I'm assuming my options are once I confirm wether this is valuation related or not we can ask the seller to drop the price or foot the difference?
    • LynnLegend
    • By LynnLegend 10th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LynnLegend
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:42 PM
    I would assume it's due to your lender having a lower valuation of the house than had originally been thought - a friend has just had the same thing and got the seller to drop the price accordingly. Once you know for certain you will know how to play it. Don't panic - £4K isn't much in mortgage terms and I'm certain the sellers will be accommodating. They're still willing to lend so affordability won't be an issue - you've got a mortgage offer on the table which is GREAT news!
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:29 AM
    Thanks for the reply Lynn. This is so nerve wrecking. I'm hoping its valuation related so we can maybe try to compromise some way. I'm glad it all worked out for your friend. It was confirmed they're willing to offer us that which is great news but not sure if we can stretch to the new figure originally we thought we needed £5700, then it went to £12000 in the appointment with the broker and then when he applied for the DIP for us they came back and we needed £16k deposit. Which we have all ready to go (thanks to our families) I guess there's not much I can do until I confirm what has changed. Here's hoping we get the ball past the finish line x
    • LuckyG
    • By LuckyG 11th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    LuckyG
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • #5
    • 11th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    It could be because of the valuation.

    If this is the case, can you negotiate with the seller, maybe meet halfway and offer 2k less if you really want the property.

    Hope it all works out.
    • Newtown
    • By Newtown 11th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Newtown
    • #6
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    • #6
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:33 PM
    in same situation with Nationwide. in our case the difference is about £10,000

    Purchase price 170K
    valuation £160k

    sadly our seller is not willing to drop a penny (will have to pay full asking. Property where we live goes very fast. (BH post codes))

    Applied with Santander to see if they can offer full asking valuation. Failing that we will have to go with 10% deposit instead of 15% deposit as we will have to take 10K hit and then revalue it in few years.
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 11th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    Thanks LuckyG, I'm hoping we can sort something, we would be happy to meet half way, the whole £4 would eat up everything we have saved for solicitor and the essentials we would need to actually move. Fingers crossed, thanks for your reply x

    Newtown I really hope Santander can help, we are so close but yet so far. To be honest I wasn't expecting this bump in the road, £10k is a massive amount of money. The house we are going for is £115k at the offer stage they declined £113k and £114k so I don't know if they would be willing to compromise but it's all guess work until I'm given the reason for why the offer dropped. Best of luck I hope it all works out x
    • LynnLegend
    • By LynnLegend 11th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    LynnLegend
    • #8
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    • #8
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:01 PM
    Jkbc90 - Whilst I know people on here will have a meltdown, but we used a 0% credit card for our solicitors fees because we had to stretch ourselves to get the house we really wanted - if it's a case of missing out on a house or putting a few grand on a credit card, I'd take the hit and pay it off I'm your own time, don't know if this is an option for you but something to consider. Please let us know how you get on - will be thinking of you!
    • Jkbc90
    • By Jkbc90 13th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Jkbc90
    • #9
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    • #9
    • 13th Jul 17, 11:26 PM
    Thanks Lynn, this could definitely be an option for us, we have plenty of available credit but afraid incase this would be frowned upon by the solicitor. I will run it past our broker.

    Big day tomorrow, find out what caused the drop in the offer and what our options are. Everything crossed that we are able to sort whatever it is. I so hope this works out. X
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 14th Jul 17, 9:03 AM
    • 214 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Solicitors may not let you pay their fee by credit card. Ours states in their terms not an option.

    However I suppose you could shuffle other costs to put on card where possible such as removals etc.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 14th Jul 17, 1:40 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Solicitors may not let you pay their fee by credit card. Ours states in their terms not an option.

    However I suppose you could shuffle other costs to put on card where possible such as removals etc.
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    It's called a money transfer credit card:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/cut-loan-overdraft-costs
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,757Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin