Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 10th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 403Posts
    • 1,134Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    best time to buy reduced food in supermarkets ...
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    best time to buy reduced food in supermarkets ... 10th Jul 17 at 5:15 PM
    Hi there,
    I recall seeing a thread a few years ago that highlighted the best times to go supermarket shopping to pick up the reduced items but cant find it
    anyone know of the best times to get the reduced stuff? im about to hit an extremely lean couple of months and as I have an A##a near me could do with shopping at the cheapest times .. got to feed myself and 3 teens on a max of £40 a week.
    we do packed lunches every day, and I make my own bread .. I have followed this forum for many years and have picked up some amazing help and advice .. as I work a 50 hour week my ability to shop around is limited!
    just cant find the thread ...

greatful for any pointers!!

Sue xx
    October grocery challenge - 186/200
    nsd oct = 4!
    nov grocery challenge - 42/200
    nsd nov = 6
Page 1
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,898 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:27 PM
    I remember the same thread. I think the conclusion was down to local variation and the best method is watchful waiting. Generally reductions start mid-afternoon, then further around 6.30pm but hold your nerve and be prepared for slim pickings when you hit the mega-bargain final reductions before closing. I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the heyday of RTC bargains has been and gone.

IIRC someone who got this down to a fine art is Ilona, in fact she was on TV showcasing her art
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 10th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:25 PM
    I think each shop has their own times and you need to ask

I was picking up ys veg for the rabbit and hens the other day in Tesco and the young man said to come back at 7pm for the best reductions. He said I'd pay pennies for what I was buying at a 1/3 rd off at around 3pm.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,207 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    Each shop is different - and will depend too on the day as to which staff are in and if the shop's busy/busier than usual. It'll also depend on the day's stock - if they had something that wasn't selling they might reduce stuff at an earlier time.

In the main, few people are in a position to actually in any way "rely" on being in a shop at the right time AND for that shop to have anything at all, anything seriously reduced, or anything they'd like/want.

You have to also factor in the cost of acquisition. even if I knew absolutely that my closest 4sda always had a shelf of food for 10% of full price at exactly XX:XX o'clock .... it'd cost me £2 to drive there/back to see!

Some people happen to live near a store that does YS and they happen to be available at no extra time/cost to themselves to have a look ... and then they'll list their winnings.... but you don't see the other 300 people who went/looked and found nothing posting about their unsuccessful search.
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 10th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 2,377 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 11:11 PM
    Three o clock on a Sunday afternoon is pretty universal.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 11th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 18,744 Thanks
    JIL
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 12:41 AM
    I go to my local lidl at 7:30pm and often see a load of meat with 30% off stickers on it. Lidl are always cheaper than other supermarkets, so you could use the weekly offers and meal plan around them and reductions. You will easily be able to stay within your £40 budget.
    It could be easier than going to the supermarket and not striking lucky?
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,139 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:31 AM
    I don't know if it's just me, but I feel the heyday of RTC bargains has been and gone.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Certainly that is the case at my Co-op. Their markdowns are ridiculously small, even on produce on its final use-by date.

The Sainsburys Local still has good reductions though: a first round at mid afternoon and then a second iteration about 8pm to 10pm.
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 11th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:37 AM
    thanks for your replies .. im going to have to do some stalking!!
    my local a##a is within walking distance (as are lidl and s'burys. but then I walk everywhere lol).
    will report back if I discover anything!!

thanks again

sue xx
    October grocery challenge - 186/200
    nsd oct = 4!
    nov grocery challenge - 42/200
    nsd nov = 6
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,898 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    thanks for your replies .. im going to have to do some stalking!!
    my local a##a is within walking distance (as are lidl and s'burys. but then I walk everywhere lol).
    will report back if I discover anything!!
    Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
    Perhaps save yourself some effort and get chatting to one of the SAs as they are marking down one evening. It's usually teenagers / part time workers armed with the YS pricing guns. Go armed with the twins, and I'm sure they'll have sympathy!

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jul 17, 7:49 AM
    • 15,425 Posts
    • 38,737 Thanks
    elsien
    There's a couple of people in my local Asda who've got the timetable down to a fine art, but they do seem to spend an inordinate amount of time just hanging round waiting from 7 onwards. And having seen the bunfight that can develop, with everyone aiming fur the same thing, I've decided I can't be doing with it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 11th Jul 17, 8:40 AM
    • 500 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    BBH123
    I think the saddest thing is someone works 50 hrs a week and still can't put food on the table without scurrying around for Yellow Stickers.

Doesn't say much for the wages in this country.

OP our local co-op has the best deals in the morning after the night shift workers have taken the out of date stock off and reduced it.

A cheap meal for 4 of you would be from Aldi - a bag of pasta @ 49p, a jar of chilli / tomato sauce 89p and you could bulk it out with veggies and a bit of grated cheese on top.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Jul 17, 2:31 PM
    • 9,342 Posts
    • 17,803 Thanks
    zippychick
    As this has dropped down the OS board, i've moved it to the Shopping and groceries board to see if you get some other helpful suggestions

Zip

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• dlusman
    • By dlusman 13th Jul 17, 2:42 PM
    • 2,215 Posts
    • 4,240 Thanks
    dlusman
    Definately all shops ( even within the same chain ) are different, and you have to do your own research in your own area . As a general guide start looking around 2 hours before closing or around 7 & 9pm if its a 24hr store.

I have seen a decline in the amount of discount I can find.
    Used to aim for between 75% and 90% off - now more likely to be 50% to 75% off.

My local Morrisons used to do everything for 9p - Now I see a few of these but majority isnt even half price.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 13th Jul 17, 5:27 PM
    • 30,800 Posts
    • 18,411 Thanks
    getmore4less
    For best quality and value and quantity(fewer wasted trips)

Top of the list in out town is M&S

90% off a lot of stuff 10mins before closing, varies what they have but usualy have meat at least twice a week ready means and othe misc fresh produce.

next Waitrose, they tend to do multiple reduction so often not much left at the late/final 6pm-7pm we get stuff a few days a week and load up when thye have over stocked,, got 7kg of cheap beef a while back and still working through it.

Morisons sometimes when the M&S and waitrose pickings get too thin on the ground.

Tesco the equality is poor especialy chicken so stick other deals and discounts now.

The trick is to go every day for a week or two till you spot the patterns
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 14th Jul 17, 1:32 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 2,097 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    I've picked up some cheap m&s stuff where they have shops at petrol stations mid evening.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Jul 17, 6:44 AM
    • 6,417 Posts
    • 19,308 Thanks
    Doc N
    Round here, Tesco's the worst - a suspiciously small number of reductions, and even those are poor.

I suspect they may go in for redating some of their produce to avoid reducing it.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 14th Jul 17, 7:47 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,898 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I have found some amazing dessert bargains at M&S after an evening drinking: think 90% off. I wouldn't normally buy these for health reasons. I don't know if it's the alcohol or the discount that lowers my concern for my health.

They really are delicious, though

• POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 14th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 10,880 Posts
    • 22,762 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I had to drop my daughter home and she needed to pop in the Tesco near her so I went in with her.

It was 7.00pm at the back of the store they had a system organised where they let a few people in at a time, no trolleys allowed, and they could pick up what they want.

They had bags of carrots for 2p potatoes for 8p strawberries 20p. Bread 3p a loaf and loads of other stuff really cheap and it was all very fresh although obviously dated that day.

Never seen such a system before but it seemed to work.
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 14th Jul 17, 9:04 PM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 2,139 Thanks
    coffeehound
    I've picked up some cheap m&s stuff where they have shops at petrol stations mid evening.
    Originally posted by MysteryMe
    The M&S at Leeds railway station always has decent markdowns in the late afternoon which is surprising since it is one of the most busy places this side of That London.

Never seen such a system before but it seemed to work.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Interesting; it sounds like a good idea.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Jul 17, 12:28 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 50,898 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I saw a police van parked in my local BP on my way home this evening, at around 10.45pm.

The emergency? I realised as soon as I saw 5 of them crowded around a chiller cabinet of YS M&S food

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin