Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Who's responsibility to fix PC

My Responsibility

80.00% • 4 votes

Sellers Responsibility

20.00% • 1 votes

You may not vote on this poll

5 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • re-rewind
    • By re-rewind 10th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    • 143Posts
    • 66Thanks
    re-rewind
    Purchased new custom PC. Blue screen problems. who's responsibility?
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:13 PM
    Purchased new custom PC. Blue screen problems. who's responsibility? 10th Jul 17 at 5:13 PM
    Hi,

I recently purchased a new custom PC from a small business (sole trader type person), I am now having some blue screen issues when trying to use some software I have installed. The same error also throws up when YouTube is being played occasionally.

So is this something I can take back to the seller? Or is it my responsibility to fix. What do the consumer laws state regarding this sort of issue please?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 31,890 Posts
    • 37,623 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:15 PM
    It's proving the problem isn't display drivers on the software you installed
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • re-rewind
    • By re-rewind 10th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    re-rewind
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:20 PM
    So basically if it's windows/hardware it's his fault. If my software, then my fault?
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 10th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 31,890 Posts
    • 37,623 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    Yep , if possible roll Windows back to the day you got it

Then see if it still blue screens
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 2,356 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    So basically if it's windows/hardware it's his fault. If my software, then my fault?
    Originally posted by re-rewind
    Yes, if there's a hardware fault then the seller needs to replace the faulty hardware but if it's a software fault then it's up to you. The difficulty then of course is trying to work out which it is which can be mostly up to you depending on how helpful the seller is.

One option as mentioned above is to install a fresh copy of Windows and see if the same problem occurs with youtube. There are also ways to get details of the blue screen and try and figure out the source. If you're not comfortable with either I'd try and find a way to reproduce the BSOD using something standard like playing Youtube and get back in touch with the seller. If it's a simple install and hardware I would admittedly be more inclined to point the blame at hardware than software but that's nothing more than an educated guess.

John
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 10th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 1,851 Posts
    • 2,644 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:14 PM
    Have you approached the seller at all with this problem? You may find that he would be willing to help: if he is local and works alone, he may wish to avoid the "Bad Local Rep" routine.

How long after the purchase did the BSOD happen first?
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• were
    • By were 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    were
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:06 PM
    Goto google an type "zzzz software" problem windows 10 bsod...... or something similar and see what comes up

Purchased recently..... how recent is recently?
    • ChristianC123
    • By ChristianC123 20th Jul 17, 4:59 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChristianC123
    • 20th Jul 17, 4:59 AM
    • 20th Jul 17, 4:59 AM
    maybe its outdated video drivers

i had similar problem with video drivers than i downgrade drivers now its fine

if you updated drivers try downgrading

if you want try the previous flash version

go to control panel add\remove remove flash

Regards,
    Christian
    clouddesktoponline.com
    Last edited by ChristianC123; 23-07-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 20th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 2,700 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    • 20th Jul 17, 8:46 AM
    Ask the seller to install Linux Mint and all your problem will be gone!
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    And how is this statement helpful in any way to the OP?
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 20th Jul 17, 9:47 AM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 3,553 Thanks
    DoaM
    And how is this statement helpful in any way to the OP?
    Originally posted by John Gray
    I reckon any time that that member makes such a comment it should be marked as since that's essentially what it is.

Edit: I mean the member John is referring to. Sorry if it comes across differently.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 20th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 1,612 Posts
    • 1,104 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Ask the seller to install Linux Mint and all your problem will be gone!
    Originally posted by I have spoken
    Really? You should read the Linux Mint 18.2 release notes:

https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php

Funnily enough some of the issues are caused by Linux Mint including outdated drivers.....

I like Linux and I run Mint but I'm not as deluded as you seem to be.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 20th Jul 17, 3:33 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Its likely to be your video drivers tbh
    But for the time it takes to do, you may aswell pop out the ram and re-seat it nice and firmly.

So many blue screens are caused by RAM

The bsod should give you some indication to the problem, albeit a little cryptic .
    Can you take a photo and post it here for us to see, or transcribe the message ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

189Posts Today

1,629Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TfLTravelAlerts: Oxford Circus and Bond Street stations now both reopened and all trains are stopping normally.

• RT @metpoliceuk: We have not located any trace of suspects, evidence of shots fired or casualties. Officers still on scene. If you are in a?

• My hopes and prayers are that this turns out to be nothing. Stay safe.

• Follow Martin