Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 10th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    • 121Posts
    • 14Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Nationwide: still the most needlessly inefficient process!
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:06 PM
    Nationwide: still the most needlessly inefficient process! 10th Jul 17 at 5:06 PM
    I had completed the entire process to remortgage to FirstDirect.
    Then, unfortunately, my situation changed, and I now need a mortgage with no early repayment charge. Yes, I know about portability, but what I might need in my case is to sell the property without buying a new one straight away. Yes, I know I might let out my property, but, again, it might not be an option in my case.

I narrowed down the choice to Nationwide only. Other lenders had similar rates but higher fees. I was skeptical, because I bought this property with Nationwide 4 years ago, and it was a real nightmare: they lost all the documents as many as 3 times [sic]: the first two times I had gone to a branch, the third it was via fax. I wanted to be hopeful, because Nationwide now lets applicants upload documents online (an option I didn’t have back then), plus I wanted to think mine was an unrepresentatively unlucky experience. Not so, evidently.

I received an approval in principle.
    I then submitted pay slips and passport copies online a week ago. There was no indication whatsoever that I had to do anything else.

Today I call to chase, and they tell me that they have received the pay slips, but not processed my application because it still shows up as not submitted. I have to log in online and submit. I do that, and, much to my surprise, there is no apply / submit button, just a “Confirm your mortgage now that you have reiceved [sic] your lending decision”. Excuse me? Confirm what? Since when is an approval in principle a lending decision? Anyway, I click that, it asks me to re-enter all the information I had already provided (what product I want, my phone number, my employer’s details) then it asks me to confirm the address of the property I want to remortgage. This is where the system crashes. I enter my address, click continue, but I get an error message. The usual corporate bulls, ehm, jargon, about a technical error, we are aware and investigating, yadda yadda ya (yeah, right, I sure believe they are ‘investigating’).

I of course tried to re-enter my address in all the possible combinations (reshuffling around building name, flat number, etc), but to no avail.

I called Nationwide. It took me almost an hour to get to the phone with someone. I must say this person was kind and professional, even left me her Nationwide email address (after all, it’s not her direct fault), but all she could say was that she’d get her technical team to look into it.

By the way, the address is very straightforward: Flat X, YA Road name. The address mentions that in the Royal Mail database, The only hiccup I can think of is that there are two Flat X at the same postcode, one at Y Road name and the other at Z Road name, but it shouldn’t be an insurmountable obstacle, especially because Nationwide financed the purchase of that very same property 4 years ago!

PS I have just logged back in, and it now says “apply”, not “confirm your mortgage now that a decision etc etc”.
Page 1
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:19 PM
    They have replied.

"The application cannot proceed and will be cancelled,[...], however you can either visit your local branch or call us on ... to start a new application"

So, their stupid online system doesn't let me complete my application online, for reasons they cannot even describe, but I might be able to do it over the phone or in a branch. WTF???
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 15,052 Posts
    • 7,611 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:26 PM
    Im not a massive fan of Nationwide, but we have used them 4-5 times this year and every one has gone through quite quickly as far as I am aware.

Admitteldy our account manager is pretty good so I am not sure if he has any say in that, but I cant complain.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 12th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 9,541 Posts
    • 3,688 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:39 PM
    Lenders struggle to get it right with us inputting the cases ACG.

Imagine the drama when the applicant inputs it themselves.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:45 PM
    My experience has been AWFUL.

4 years ago, when I bought the property, they lost the documents we sent (pay slips etc) as many as 3 times. 3! The first 2 times I had brought them to a branch, The third time it was via fax. Once, I can understand, but 3 times? How can you lose documents 3 times? What are the odds of that? We were this closing to losing the property because of those delays.

Now, well, I am speechless. There is an unspecified IT ****-up which prevents me from applying online, but which doesn't prevent me from applying over the phone or in a branch. For a property they already had a mortgage on. Over the phone or in a branch they only offer their 'advice' service and insist on booking an appointment of 2.5 hours to "go through all the options". I don't need to spend 2.5 hours with some kid if I already know what I want. Oh, it's a joint mortgage, and the lines are open till 8pm, so I cannot book a 6pm call as they need the full 2.5 hours. Come on, what on Earth do they have to ask me or talk through that requires 2.5 hours? When we did it with First Direct it was over in less than 45 minutes, and FD were way, way more thorough than Nationwide were 4 years ago.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 3:46 PM
    Lenders struggle to get it right with us inputting the cases ACG.

Imagine the drama when the applicant inputs it themselves.
    Originally posted by amnblog
    Note that this has nothing to with my risk profile. There is no question about affordability or whatever. It's just that their stupid online system doesn't like my address and crashes when I enter it. I am biting my tongue not to say what I am really thinking...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,401Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin