Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AgamemnonsBeard
    • By AgamemnonsBeard 10th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AgamemnonsBeard
    Lost loan on credit record
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    Lost loan on credit record 10th Jul 17 at 4:52 PM
    Hello,

Abstract: I took out a loan in 2004 with Alliance and Leicester. They bacame part of Santander and when I called Santander to clear the balance after some issues paying in 2009 they had no record of my loan. Never heard a peep from them. Isn't on my experian credit report but is on my noodle credit report. Should I contact Santander and ask them to set it right?

Long version: In 2004 my brother came to me saying he needed money to keep his house. I was 20 and he put the screws on, saying not to talk to anyone else about it and he pormptly filled out the forms on line for me and I got a call about the loan from Alliance and Leicester. They okay'd the loan, even though they had to tell me how much I'd applied for as my brother had added an extra grand, and sold me PPI for it too. My brother had said he'd repay me when he sold his house, and in the interim would handle the monthly payments.

Of course, he did not handle the monthly payments, I had to make them. I left my job to go back to college, so didn't have any money coming in. This led to missed payments, which I'd chase my brother about. Eventualy he sold his house and... I saw nothing (he did get a nice big TV though). Payments kept being missed but eventually I spoke to my parents (and warned the rest of the family, no one lends now) and spoke to Alliance and Leicester and arranged payment plan.

My parents agreed to give me the outstanding balance to pay off, so I called Alliance and Leicester, who by then had been taken over by Santander. I have bank statements that sow the money going into my accounts. Santander couldn't find my loan. The operative on the phone said he couldn't find it, so couldn't take any payment, and that I could probably forget about it. So I did. Nothing from them (they had my address on file as I'd received post previously) and a few years ago I got an experian report and it wasn't on there.

However, I've just signed up for Noodle through Halifax, and it is on that credit report. So, should I contact Santander and ask them to ammend the credit report (or however one does this, notes on systems etc)? Should I also claim for the PPI? I'm pretty sure the entire loan was missold, due to combination of their aggressive sales and my own naiviete and trust, but I'm older now and wiser too.

Forgive the Tolstoyesque post but thought this might avoid the need for follow up questions.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 14,351 Posts
    • 15,108 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:02 PM
    Sounds mis bought rather than mis sold.

If Santander don't report to Experian, it won't appear on there. They may also report to Equifax.

If you have valid mis sale reasons for the PPI, you could make a complaint about that.
    Last edited by zx81; 10-07-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 10th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:54 PM
    If the last contact you had with Santander was in 2009, eight years ago, there should be nothing on any credit report.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 10th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:55 PM
    Oh, and if you didn't have to pay the loan back, I'd let sleeping dogs lie with regards to the PPI.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 30,396 Posts
    • 19,219 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:34 PM
    OP what is the date thats on the entry from Santander on the Noddle report ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 11th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 1,129 Posts
    • 841 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 8:54 PM
    OP what is the date thats on the entry from Santander on the Noddle report ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Sorry, he's done the one post..and he's gone!
    Unusual, that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,116Posts Today

9,418Users online

Martin's Twitter