Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ostrava
    • By Ostrava 10th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 18Thanks
    Ostrava
    Do I need to stop claiming child beneft and tax credits?
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:20 PM
    Do I need to stop claiming child beneft and tax credits? 10th Jul 17 at 4:20 PM
    My 18 year old son has just received a letter from his college informing him that he will not be accepted on the 2nd year of the A level programme in September, although there are other options with them that he can discuss. However, he's decided that he wants to quit education and either do an apprenticeship or work full time.

I don't want to break the rules and over claim, but at the same time I don't want to stop the benefits until I absolutely have to. Am I right in thinking that he is still considered "in appropriate education or training" until the beginning of next term in September? What happens if he starts working say, next month? Is that when I contact the authorities and stop the CB and child tax credits?

I'd be grateful for any advice.
Page 1
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 4,607 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 11th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    He has already made the decision to stop FTNAE so tax credit would stop from the date he made that decision.
    • Ostrava
    • By Ostrava 11th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Ostrava
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    An advisor on the govt website has told me that I will receive payments until the beginning of the new term unless he starts working before that date.
    • Icequeen99
    • By Icequeen99 12th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Icequeen99
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    • 12th Jul 17, 11:31 AM
    For tax credits, the adviser has given you incorrect advice. Darksparkle is correct.

IQ
    • Ostrava
    • By Ostrava 12th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Ostrava
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:39 PM
    How would they know when he made the decision? It's not as if his internal thoughts are transmitted to the government... are they?

Seriously though, wouldn't it just go from the date he started working full time? It's so confusing. Who am I to believe if people are saying the actual government advisor was wrong?

As it happens he's now not entirely sure about college and is going for an interview for part time work in a couple of days.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 3,746 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    • 12th Jul 17, 4:49 PM
    What you need to do

You must tell the Tax Credit Office if your child:

turns 16 and stays in approved education or training
    starts or leaves approved education or training
    joins or leaves a careers service
    starts getting benefits themselves, eg Universal Credit
    gets married, forms a civil partnership or starts to live with a partner
    leaves approved education or training and starts working in a job where they’re paid 24 or more hours a week
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,001Posts Today

6,220Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin