Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jenga12
    • By Jenga12 10th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Jenga12
    Need Advice
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    Need Advice 10th Jul 17 at 4:15 PM
    Hi,
    I'm needing my bathroom redone. It's 2m by 1.5m and thought I'd get the bath taken out and put in a shower cubicle instead. I'm on a budget so asked for quotes labour only - take old suite + tiles out. Repair damaged plaster (from under tiles) with green wet-proof plasterboard; fit 2 wet-walls; fit shower cubicle/toilet/basin unit/ towel rail. Basin and towel rail moved to slightly different locations. Fit lino with plywood underneath. Paint everything including ceiling. Fit extractor fan + new light + new shower (existing wiring already there, same location for all 3). Fit mirror + shelf. No tiling.
    I'm providing everything, including paint + sealant paint + sealant.
    I've been quoted £2000 - is this a fair price?
    3 builders have been around the same. But the difference between them is in their 'cutting list of materials'. All they need to get is the wetproof plasterboard for walls, plywood for floor and perhaps some nails but one of them is quoting £650 fof 'materials'. Am I missing something?
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 4,868 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    A lot of it depends what part of the country you live in .
    If it's London or the south east , the prices are dearer than anywhere else . Did you get a good feel for one builder over the others ?
    They all sound similar , which is good . Where did you find the builders? Did they give you a timescale ? Did they demand money upfront ? So many questions
    If it's any help , I got my small bathroom gutted / tiled/ new bath shower/ new sink -toilet / new laminate waterproof flooring / mirror and accessories . It took just over 2 weeks . I paid in instalments .
    I let the builder buy everything . I asked him to dispose of everything
    I chose everything from tiles to flooring . I painted it myself
    Cost was just over £4,000. Looking at the quotes you've received ,they all seem ok .
    • phill99
    • By phill99 10th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 7,986 Posts
    • 7,224 Thanks
    phill99
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    It isn't just plywood and plaster is it?

Something tells me you haven't supplied pan connectors, copper piping, elbows, Ts, straight connectors, 40mm waste pipe, 32 mm waste pipe, elbows, connectors, traps, adhesives, solder, flux, etc etc
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 23,969 Posts
    • 66,529 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:28 PM
    We don't use plasterboard and ply either. We use cement board which is far more expensive.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Jenga12
    • By Jenga12 11th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jenga12
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:54 PM
    One guy's 'quote' is a bit vague with regards to specific details + wants materials money in cash (he'll give me receipts after he buys the materials) but he seems to know what he's doing.
    The second guy, who did my kitchen, seems a bit busy and said he would 'squeeze my job in'. I get the feeling this one may drag things on beyond the maximum 10 days I've allowed.
    3rd guy left out important details eg, he verbally said that he would tank the shower area but didn't mention that in his written quote.
    So they all have negatives and I'm thinking of paying extra to someone else, just for peace of mind.

p.s I've bought all the fixing kits, waste kits, copper piping, adhesive etc Only things I haven't bought are waterproof green plaster type board and plywood for under lino.
    Last edited by Jenga12; 11-07-2017 at 9:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,091Posts Today

7,993Users online

Martin's Twitter