Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 10th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1,298Posts
    • 473Thanks
    kah22
    Burger Buns
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    Burger Buns 10th Jul 17 at 4:13 PM
    At the moment I'm trying to develop a recipe for a burger bun. The type the use in McDonalds and KFC but not necessarily those particular recipes - big and fluffy that's what I'm after!

I've picked up the following ingredients from McDonalds UK site: (http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/buns/what-are-the-ingredients-of-the-big-tasty-bun.html)
    The McDonald's UK Big Tasty Bun contains: Wheat Flour, Water, Sugar, Yeast, Sesame Seed, Vegetable Oil (Rapeseed), Salt, Wheat Fibre, Soya Flour, Emulsifier (Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids, Mono and Diacetyl Tartaric Acid Esters of Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Palm Oil, Preservative (Calcium Propionate), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid).

While I understand the preservatives that they use are for longer shelf as a home baker I neither want or feel I need all of these.

Has anyone here a McD or KFC bun type recipe that they could share

Thanks for your time and any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 16,962 Thanks
    caronc
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    These are pretty decent though less pappy than the commercially made ones http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • kah22
    • By kah22 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    kah22
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:50 PM
    These are pretty decent though less pappy than the commercially made ones http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/hamburger-or-hot-dog-buns-recipe
    Originally posted by caronc
    Thanks for your post Caronc. I had tried the King Arthur ones but my taste testers: two small gran nieces and their parents agreed that there was something not quite right. Probably my fault 😋

Perhaps I'll give them another try and hopefully I get a few more suggestions

Kevin
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 16,962 Thanks
    caronc
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:56 PM
    Thanks for your post Caronc. I had tried the King Arthur ones but my taste testers: two small gran nieces and their parents agreed that there was something not quite right. Probably my fault 😋

Perhaps I'll give them another try and hopefully I get a few more suggestions

Kevin
    Originally posted by kah22
    They aren't quite the same but I think it will be really hard to replicate the commercial ones unless you can reproduce the Chorleywood process in your kitchen .......https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process
    July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £96/£120
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 10th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    You can get very light, fluffy and 'soft' burger buns using a method called 'tangzhong' - it's an Asian technique used during bread-making where you make what is in essence a water roux which you then mix into a dough. The idea is that the roux gives the bread quite a high water content so you get a more tender crumb and a bun that lasts really well. I don't have a recommended recipe but if you Google 'tangzhong burger buns' there are loads of recipes out there. I wouldn't stake my life on it, but I'd hazard a guess that something like this method is used on a commercial scale to make the long-life rolls for Macdonald's etc.
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 10th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    gonebust
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    Omg, I can't think why anyone would try to replicate a mc d bun, they are in my opinion , bloody disgusting

Have you tried milk buns? My grandkids like them around a burger. I myself prefer a good sesame bun or a brioche
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,786 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 2:35 PM
    I've made thriftladys bread rolls many times with success. They are very fluffy and professional looking. I couldn't say how much they are like the rolls mentioned, but they are fresh, tasty and worth a go

Zip
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• kah22
    • By kah22 13th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    kah22
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    • 13th Jul 17, 3:51 PM
    Half the fun I find in baking is trying new recipes, in this case burger buns. Personally I don't like McD, if I'm going down that road it's KFC I'd opt for; but it's a recipe for a light soft fluffy bun I'm really trying to replicate

Zippychick nice to hear from another Nor-Irish
    Last edited by kah22; 13-07-2017 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Adding to post
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,786 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 1:24 PM
    Half the fun I find in baking is trying new recipes, in this case burger buns. Personally I don't like McD, if I'm going down that road it's KFC I'd opt for; but it's a recipe for a light soft fluffy bun I'm really trying to replicate

Zippychick nice to hear from another Nor-Irish
    Originally posted by kah22
    yeooooooooooooooooooooo

Honestly, let me know if you try them!

When i first met my husband, one of our early dates was a day trip/picnic with two mutual friends. I baked these rolls, and made him Quornation chicken (haha) as filling. He was so impressed I baked them and commented on how "shop bought" they looked. His words were "i'm holding on to her, she feeds me"

I'm no skilled breadmaker by the way.
    I'm a Board Guide of Old Style MoneySaving, The Northern Ireland board,How Much Have you Saved? and Martin's Blogs.
    This means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• calleyw
    • By calleyw 17th Jul 17, 1:28 PM
    • 8,638 Posts
    • 15,516 Thanks
    calleyw
    He was so impressed I baked them and commented on how "shop bought" they looked. His words were "i'm holding on to her, she feeds me"

I'm no skilled breadmaker by the way.
    Originally posted by zippychick
    How sweet

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 18th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 9,348 Posts
    • 17,786 Thanks
    zippychick
    How sweet

Yours

Calley
    Originally posted by calleyw
    What, that I'm a feeder and he's an eater??? Apparently on our second date, I turned up with homemade from scratch veggie tikka masala, pilau rice, and nan bread (bought), all tied onto the back of my bicycle with a bungee

thank you, it was sweet.!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin