Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 4,763Posts
    • 20,778Thanks
    Slinky
    What have you left behind in your old home?
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    What have you left behind in your old home? 10th Jul 17 at 4:13 PM
    Following on from the other thread about what's the oddest thing you've been left, what have you left behind for your purchasers?

We left a small plastic garden shed with extra house bricks from our conservatory build. I think they may have been useful as the purchaser did brick up an external door when they remodelled the kitchen. We didn't actually say we were going to leave them.

Now's the time to 'fess up about what you left behind for your purchasers.
Page 1
    • dreyfuss
    • By dreyfuss 10th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    dreyfuss
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    I left a small packet of money in the conservatory above the door...only a pound or so but not in purpose! Only remembered today two weeks after moving out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 10,052 Posts
    • 8,122 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 7:48 PM
    When my father moved some 15 years ago, we left behind the following in the loft : 2 clocks (1 electric, 1 clockwork), which had belonged to his FIL, an Acme wringer (1950s version of a mangle) and a metal non matching stand for the wringer,
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 10th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:15 PM
    When we got married someone smart Alec bought us a proper leather whip (don't know why, he was fully housetrained thanks to my brilliant mil) .....couldn't find it when we moved so assume that it got left behind
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,466 Posts
    • 19,004 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:18 PM
    Only paint and wall and floor tiles that we'd used in the house in case they needed to replace/repaint.

Not fair to leave the new owners things we don't want and can't be bothered to dump.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 5,345 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:29 PM
    The buyers turned up a bit early, before the funds had cleared, was just giving the place a final vacuum, then couldn't fit the vac into the car, so left it with 'em.

It was next day I realised I'd left my dressing gown hung on the back of the bedroom door. Hope they made good use of it . . .

I do miss it . . .

• jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 10th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 7,431 Posts
    • 10,358 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:45 PM
    We accidentally left a small photo album that must have slipped out of a box that was stored in the loft of our old house.

Fortunately, and very kindly, when they found it the new owners brought it to our new home - we hadn't even realised it was missing, but we were very grateful to get it back
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • charco
    • By charco 10th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    charco
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:12 PM
    Only ever left paint and a chest of drawers (it was nice but didn't fit in the van so just left it).

In our current place we found a set of crutches in the attic. Previous owner for many moons ago also left some odds and ends (old locks, plug sockets etc) up there. All went in the bin but I think the crutches are up there somewhere.

Now in the progress of selling up. Being fair to the new owner and clearing out. Only things really being left behind are spare tiles, spare flooring and paint. There's an attic aerial I never got round to fitting that we'll leave up there. I'd love to leave our old high chair in the attic but I reckon the new owners wouldn't be happy!
    • dsdhall
    • By dsdhall 10th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 313 Thanks
    dsdhall
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    Bottle of champagne.
    • Mossfarr
    • By Mossfarr 10th Jul 17, 10:58 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 584 Thanks
    Mossfarr
    The house opposite me had been owned by an elderly man who had lived in the house all his life - he was 87 when he died and it had been his parents home before that. He had never married and had no other family.
    The new owners found loads of valuable antiques in the loft which they sold and used the proceeds to build a huge extension and decorate top to bottom!
    • jessex1990
    • By jessex1990 10th Jul 17, 11:22 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    jessex1990
    Paint, tiles and a new shower riser which we had bought but hadn't fitted. And lots of sticky notes attached to things to point out where the meters, water tank were and how they worked.
    • phoebe1989seb
    • By phoebe1989seb 10th Jul 17, 11:42 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 6,461 Thanks
    phoebe1989seb
    We've really never left anything more interesting than left over paint - clearly labelled with which room it was used in and agreed with buyers first - and some spare oak flooring for patching up if necessary.

However, a few house moves ago we did accidentally leave a couple of tent pegs in the lawn where a cover had been secured over some garden furniture. This was of no consequence other than the fact our buyer had once been convicted of murdering someone using.......a tent peg

Years ago a friend of an acquaintance bought a house where an original Tiffany lamp had been left in the attic. They sold it at auction where it made £40k!
    Paid off mortgage early - mortgage-free since age 40 (2007)

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jul 17, 7:38 AM
    • 23,706 Posts
    • 89,682 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I left a photocopy of a newspaper cutting from 1952, advertising the last two semis in the road for sale by the developers.

The price was 140 times less than they'd paid us!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • aneary
    • By aneary 11th Jul 17, 8:31 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    My parents left a chassis of a copy of a 1930s aston martin, in the back garden, we ran out of time and room in the vans. My mum has sworn that she is getting removal men in next time they move.

My dad did pick it up later.
    • rjwr
    • By rjwr 11th Jul 17, 8:35 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    rjwr
    i think lost a box of stuff. Photos, memorabilia and some very interesting items like my grandad's WW2 ration book. It hasn't turned up anywhere else. It was a few years ago so lost in the world now
    But never spend money you don't have to buy things you don't want to impress people you don't like.
    Originally posted by kidmugsy
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 11th Jul 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 6,225 Thanks
    ska lover
    Bottle of champagne.
    Originally posted by dsdhall

Classy touch
    Blah blah blah.
    • elonii
    • By elonii 11th Jul 17, 2:44 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    elonii
    We left a fully stocked woodpile, a brand new brush for the chimney flue, an office desk and chair, and a digital safe inside one of the wardrobes.

We also sold them a daybed which we had actually intended on leaving as it had been made from old roof trusses we removed when renovating and was WAY to heavy to lift out of the property. When they offered me $200 for it I couldn't say no
    • charco
    • By charco 11th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    charco
    Just remembered that in our old flat the previous tenant left behind a drawer or her pants! The place was a complete state. I think she'd literally packed that morning. Hadn't vacuumed or cleaned anything. She'd gone back to live in Falkirk and certainly lived up to the cheeky stereotype!
    • Fonque
    • By Fonque 11th Jul 17, 6:48 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    Fonque
    I have a small outbuilding as part of my flat, the previous tenant left a box of junior snooker and football trophies in there. I may not chuck them out as I can see a potential craft project in them as the plinths and stands are quite nice. So I'll probably upcycle them and sell them on.
    Do not make any sudden moves.
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 12th Jul 17, 6:07 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    NicNicP
    We left behind spare paint and tiles and a new home card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin