Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 10th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    duckman121
    Euhost.com complaint problem server ransom hacking!
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    Euhost.com complaint problem server ransom hacking! 10th Jul 17 at 4:00 PM
    Hi guys

So I am a website owner who relys on his websites to earn a living, i recently put my websites on
    I post this out of sheer frustration and annoyance at how I have been treated by this company, on Thursday night all my websites were just showing errros on the pages.

So contacted the live support who after a few hours or looking around said we are sorry but your server has been ransome hacked we cant do anything, we want to format the server please give us the go ahead ?? which means someone hacked and encrypted everything and you have to pay to get it back

I was like WHAT everything was on that server ???? they said we will look into it more, and on the friday evening i was called and told well actually we think we have resolved this, great i thought they got them back.

Only to wake up saturday morning to another email saying, sorry we couldnt get anything back you have been hacked we tried but cant do anything sorry.

I went to live support ( as there is no customer services on sat or sun) was told that someone would call me back, this was 1 o clock, no oen called me, Saturday or Sunday.

I rang today to complain, and argue the fact that i have lost everything and its going to cost me well in excess of £500 to put all this right thru no fault of my own.

Spoke to john who was reasonably sympathetic only to be called back an hour later and said well actually we will give you a free months service £40, and also told i would have 3 months free backups (which really is pointless as i have nothing to back up anymore how stupid can you get) also when i refused this offer, the customer service agent said well we can cancel your account now on the line if you like, great thanks a lot!

It is really a bitter pill to swallow to lose everything, and then have to foot the bill to fix everything thru no fault of your own, and i know what some people will say why didnt you hack it all up, well i had 40 gigs of stuff on my server which is very hard to back up

To make an offer of £40 its pretty pathetic i think, the amout of time i spend chasing people calling people, with very little sympathy from any of the staff at EUhost they do not seem to understand this affect my bills my lively hood, and i am now forced to rebuild and pay them for hosting at the same time !!!

JJ
    Last edited by duckman121; 14-07-2017 at 7:19 PM.
Page 2
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 12th Jul 17, 1:41 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    nope
    not true

You still have to check they are actually being done properly, sometimes even check the files just to make sure, everyone assumes cos you have a backup its going to work, that also is not true.ive backed up and restored sites that didnt work a few times.

I have a limited amount of time in the day so its not practical yo do this daily, maybe once a month yeah, again everyone saying backups are going to save everything every time its just not true.
    I suppose if i backed everything up and then the backups didn't work properly? thats my fault too for not checking them right ?

The point is i shouldn't have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time, and the security of my server is not my responsibility when i am PAYING someone else to do it for me !! But i suppose that's my fault too isnt it ? for leaving someone else to look after the security of my server ???
    Last edited by duckman121; 12-07-2017 at 2:07 PM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 2:06 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    not true

You still have to check they are actually being done properly, sometimes even check the files just to make sure, everyone assumes cos you have a backup its going to work, that also is not true.ive backed up and restored sites that didnt work a few times.

I have a limited amount of time in the day so its not practical yo do this daily, maybe once a month yeah,again everyone saying backups are going to save everything every time its just not true.
    I suppose if i backed everything up and then the backups didnt work properly ? thats my fault too for not checking them right ?

the point is i sshouldnt have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time !!
    Originally posted by duckman121
    you get email report that tells you if its backed up or not, using the control panel backup system and just back it up to your account on the server is a waste of time as if the server goes down so does the backup you have. backups need to be backed up to an external source and if possible 2 external sources

the point is i sshouldnt have to worry about backing !!!! up all the time !!
    if it is a mission critical site then yes you should take the time to make sure it is backed up on a regular basis or if you cant do it then pay the little your hosting provider will ask to do it yourself.
    Yes most hosts will be making daily backups themselves regardless, but these will be for their own use and wont provide these to any client if they have not paid for the backup service.
    Last edited by angryparcel; 12-07-2017 at 2:10 PM.
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 12th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    Either way angry parcel i see your point but i just dont agree! the host gets off scot free which isnt fair! the fact we are going on about backups and not their service speaks volumes, and the fact people were very rude to me after this happened, makes it worse,

i do not recommend people use this company, i have used other companies in the past who bent over backwards to help me when things went wrong, that is what i was used to before eukhost, in fact ive been made to feel like its my fault, even from people on here, and will be looking for the same from my new host.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Either way angry parcel i see your point but i just dont agree! the host gets off scot free which isnt fair! the fact we are going on about backups and not their service speaks volumes, and the fact people were very rude to me after this happened, makes it worse,

i do not recommend people use this company, i have used other companies in the past who bent over backwards to help me when things went wrong, that is what i was used to before eukhost, in fact ive been made to feel like its my fault, even from people on here, and will be looking for the same from my new host.
    did you read the review links i provided earlier, they seem to have some good feedback. the highlighted comment above. the fact is it is and has always been the clients responsibility to make their own backups a host cannot be held responsible for making sure your site is backed up unless you pay them for this service.
    Yes some hosts are better than others in customer service
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 12th Jul 17, 3:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    reviews
    reviews can be manipulated they probably spend thousands on reputation management to squish out the poor reviews i work in the industry i know how it works.

Some of companys with the best reviews often are terrible people like 1&1 interent got amazign reviews but awful hosting and tech support. they just have good reputation management.

Thats why moving hosts is such a minefield, if it was just as easy as reading reviews it would be fine, it also doesnt tell you how all tech support for ukhost is in india either, which doesnt bother me that much but is also an issue for some people, you only know this from using the service.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 3:41 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    reviews can be manipulated they probably spend thousands on reputation management to squish out the poor reviews i work in the industry i know how it works.
    Then you will know that it is rare anyone leaves positive reviews about a webhost. People only tend to post on forums etc, when they have a bad experience with a host. so when a host gets positive reviews on various review sites then they must be doing something right.
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 12th Jul 17, 3:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    No it isnt, if you have good reputation management its your job to get good reviews, thats why its called reputation management, you hire someone to get you good reviews, or you fire them.

That way you average out the bad ones,
    • eUKhost JohnB
    • By eUKhost JohnB 12th Jul 17, 4:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    eUKhost JohnB
    MSE Note:

Thanks very much for coming on and helping our forum users John. While we do ask companies to contact us for verification first we're grateful you're here to rectify things. We're happy to leave this post in place.

--------

Hi, I am the John mentioned in the opening post.

I would just like to say we are very sorry about the situation you have found yourself in, I want to make it clear that we are very sympathetic to your plight, sadly in this situation there are very few avenues open to explore when it comes to retrieving your data.

You did speak to my colleague before you spoke to myself, and when it came apparent that no backups were available we did spend significant time researching the ransomware involved and checking if it had been broken, and if so if a key was available to decrypt your data. The chances of this being the case were always going to be slim but we considered it important to make that effort.

I do agree entirely that the engineer should have called you back at the stated time, I have no defence for that, it is something I have addressed with the team and apologise, it was not acceptable.

I can’t discuss compensation on a public forum but please do contact myself if you want to talk about this further.

I know it is not nice to be on the receiving end of a ransomware attacks and you are rightly angry, so I would just like to reiterate that we will provide you with whatever technical support you require to get you back up and running.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-07-2017 at 9:43 AM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 12th Jul 17, 4:53 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    To eUKhost JohnB
    before you reply on behalf of as company you need forum permission
    How can my company get a right of reply?
    If you're from a company, have seen a post you feel is misleading or offensive, and would like the right of reply, please click the report button on the post or email the Forum Team with a full explanation: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    A member of the MSE Team will check you're authorised to represent that company.
    Provided you have the authority, you may either be asked to give a statement, which one of the MSE Team will post on your behalf, or be given permission to post directly on the specific thread.
    Where permission has been given for you to post directly on a thread, a note from the MSE Team will appear below confirming this.
    If someone has posted claiming to be from a company but the MSE Team has not posted below confirming they're authorised please use the report button or email the link to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    There's one exception: companies offering a discount code for MoneySavers can post it, once only, in the Great Want to Offer MoneySavers a Discount? Hunt and nowhere else on the Forum.
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 12th Jul 17, 5:04 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    Thanks, John I realize your post will probably get removed anyway so will consider what you have said.
    • SBrown86
    • By SBrown86 13th Jul 17, 8:12 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    SBrown86
    Duckman I do feel for your situation. As an IT person myself I have seen customers lose their data to malware (although usually there was a recent backup so not too bad).

I do feel though that you are lashing out at the hosting provider unnecessary, from your first post it does sound like they really tried to recover the data (something they probably weren't abliged to do).

You need to see what service you're paying for. In my experience hosting providers usually do what it says on the tin, hosting. They are just there to host the site. It's down to you the professional to look after it. Unless of course you pay for extra services such as backup and additional security etc.

I think that you'll have to chalk this up to experience. Even if you need to lose a day out of a month to take good backups, then it's still worth doing just to avoid this situation. Always have a disaster recovery plan, even if you shouldn't need it, murphey's law and all that.

Assuming you're happy to do that then I'm sure you can shop around and find a cheaper hosting provider.

At the end of the day, your clients are paying to look after the site. You need to shoulder most if not all the responsibility.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 13th Jul 17, 10:46 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    I spend a small fortune making sure my servers are secure, but not a lot of back up servers as you dont need too.
    Some sites still get malware etc, but this is contained to the customers sites and 100% it is down to the client using weak passwords or out of date scripts.
    So servers can be secure and locked down, but viruses etc. can still get onto individual accounts, so how is this down to the host.
    A host is only to host your website unless you pay for extra services, they are need to make sure the server is secure i.e. if a virus or malware etc. gets onto a clients account then it does not get any further.
    If you cannot afford to take the time to take your own backups then you need to pay someone to do it for you.
    • duckman121
    • By duckman121 15th Jul 17, 8:24 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    duckman121
    spoke to them and resolved it anyhow now
    • deskhelp
    • By deskhelp 18th Jul 17, 10:50 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    deskhelp
    I am rebuilding my sites using the archive site and some older backups (i did have some), and I do accept some responsibility for not backing EVERYTHING up, but the server people should accept some too that was my argument.

Still shouldn't have happened, and backing up my websites daily is not a practical use of my time i know you can backup in the control panel i was doing that however the backups took my server disk usage to 90 % so i removed them plus i had only just moved my sites to this server, however, I have learned a lesson in some ways, there is only one person you can rely on in a crisis and thats yourself.

Actually, my the main issue is the way it was all handled, it is very easy when this happens to say well you should have backups, like eukhost borrowing a Ferrari and then crashing it and saying well you have insurance don't u, either way I still lose out through not fault of my own.

If someone had said sorry properly and actually returned my calls then I probably wouldn't be so !!!!ed off, instead I have to start asking to speak to managers blah blah wasting more or my time.
    Yes I do feel for some part they should agree there fault and offer a better compensation, I had faced a bit so such issues with them in the past , now switched to Webhost.uk.net its much better since then.
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 19th Jul 17, 12:27 PM
    • 4,453 Posts
    • 26,861 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    B2B Transaction and you failed to have adequate backup of your website!
    I sold my only sock
    For a handshake and twenty menthol cigarettes
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

442Posts Today

5,957Users online

Martin's Twitter