Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 10th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    • 214Posts
    • 153Thanks
    SuboJvR
    Help to Buy ISA Advice
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:42 PM
    Help to Buy ISA Advice 10th Jul 17 at 3:42 PM
    Hi there,

In May, I set up a Help to Buy ISA as we were aiming to buy a house in the near future.

Things happened sooner than expected, and I then realised that we wouldn't qualify for the HTB ISA bonus, as our affordability for buying a house was more than I thought. I also didn't realise that the Help to Buy Equity Loan and Help to Buy ISA didn't have the same upper threshold! (i.e. the ISA bonus pays out up to £250k whereas the equity loan scheme goes up to £400k outside London).

So I have the Help to Buy ISA, and I haven't put money into any other ISA this year.

I'm not sure what the best thing to do next is?

I have current accounts with Barclays, Nationwide (where the HTB ISA is) and Halifax, where my main bank account is. I don't want to open an account with a new bank at this stage (mortgage offer issued, don't want anymore credit searches in the intervening period before completion).

The HTB ISA has a decent interest rate on it of 2%, and though it's not a huge amount of money, is there any harm in leaving it there for the time buying even though I know we won't be using the bonus? I will be using the money in there on completion of our house, though.

Should I keep paying into the HTB ISA, or transfer it to another product paying less interest for the next few months (3-4)?

At what stage must I close the HTB ISA down? Presumably, once I am in the new house! But should I be doing it at exchange?

Thanks for any advice.

I am considering a Santander 3-2-1 current account going forward too as our mortgage will be with them.
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 5,000 Posts
    • 4,746 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:10 PM
    Should I keep paying into the HTB ISA, or transfer it to another product paying less interest for the next few months (3-4)?
    Originally posted by SuboJvR
    I'd recommend continuing to pay in.

At what stage must I close the HTB ISA down? Presumably, once I am in the new house! But should I be doing it at exchange?
    This has come up in a couple of recent threads - there are no hard and fast rules but you just need to make sure you don't declare that you're a first-time buyer once you no longer are.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5658000
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5674091

I am considering a Santander 3-2-1 current account going forward too as our mortgage will be with them.
    For those of us of a certain vintage that brings to mind this:

but as a first-time buyer that'll probably go over your head (not a bad thing, keep it that way!). Anyway, yes, you could do worse than a Santander 1-2-3 to combine mortgage and current account/savings under the same roof, given the cashback proposition, although you can earn better interest on various other accounts if/when you're ready to open more.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 11th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    Thank you very much!

The photo does ring a bell... I have an older brother so that may contribute ;-)

I'll continue to deposit for the timebeing then, and aim to close it down at some point before we complete.

Thanks!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,209Posts Today

7,542Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin