Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    CV Advice
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:30 PM
    CV Advice 10th Jul 17 at 3:30 PM
    Hello, Obviously I am going to be banned on here again because that's what this site does for people that have Autism and are struggling but how do I know if my CV is layed out correctly because I have applied for loads of jobs but no one is getting back to me, I have listed my qualifications in the past but no one on here understands them. I don't know what to do because this site was very good in terms of advice about this and money saving

I am banned under football123 and will most likely be banned on here again so can someone give me another site for more money advice because I might actually need it in the future when I am feeling mentally better.

I am taking a break from the internet now as my head is spinning and it hurts and i feel worthless.
Page 1
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 10th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:57 PM
    Are you with any agencies to try and find work? If so, ask their advice as they'll process endless CVs.
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:01 PM
    Are you with any agencies to try and find work? If so, ask their advice as they'll process endless CVs.
    Originally posted by Ozzuk
    What do you mean am I with any agencies. That probably answers your question, no I'm not. I still have at least one more year left at college but they are no hope with CV's now because I am over 21
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 10th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,675 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:07 PM
    I'm surprised your college doesn't have any support services.

I don't know what field you are looking to work in, but for instance I work in IT so it is common to use employment agencies to find work - they can potentially help you with CV formatting.

A lot of job finding websites have free templates. Also check your local adult learning centres/libraries, sometimes they run courses on CV writing.

Plenty of internet resources as well, for instance:
    http://learndirect.co.uk/improve-your-job-prospects/help-getting-job/getting-your-cv-right/
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    Its not that they don't have any support services but once your over 21 like me they don't support students as much. You can't go to the career meetings after your over 21 and learn how to write your CV.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:23 PM
    Its not that they don't have any support services but once your over 21 like me they don't support students as much. You can't go to the career meetings after your over 21 and learn how to write your CV.
    Originally posted by ILOVELIFE
    Are you sure, since that would be discrimination and no college is that stupid
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:25 PM
    Are you sure, since that would be discrimination and no college is that stupid
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yeah, I asked the staff in the libabry and my tutor and that is what was said to me. Probably one of the reasons why my college got a bad ofted report because it doesn't really support its mature students
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 10th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 15,128 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:50 PM
    Yeah, I asked the staff in the libabry and my tutor and that is what was said to me. Probably one of the reasons why my college got a bad ofted report because it doesn't really support its mature students
    Did you actually ask the people who run the CV writing classes? And further, now go back to them and say they are in breach of the equality act.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 10th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2,148 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:00 PM
    If you use Microsoft Word, then there are plenty of CV templates to use there - they're called resumes, which is the American term for CV. You should be able to adapt one of them - I did.

But don't get too hung up on layout - as long as the CV is relevant to the job being applied for, and has the information presented in a clear manner in no more than 2 or 3 pages with no spelling, punctuation or grammar errors then you'll be fine.
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 6:18 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    Yeah, i didn't think about the Microsoft word but that link is really good. I suppose the thing is my qualifications such as Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2 that I have I didn't have any GCSE so I don't know what these things are equivalent to and some people even on here don't know what I mean. I didn't go to school which didn't help matters either
    • elsien
    • By elsien 10th Jul 17, 6:26 PM
    • 15,289 Posts
    • 38,383 Thanks
    elsien
    For CV help try the careers service. Although it would probably benefit you to let them know about your autism so that they can communicate with you more effectively.
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/contact-us/home

Are your qualifications the functional skills ones - check with your tutor if you're not sure. They are not equivalent to GCSE because they are not tests in the same way, they are more about demonstrating daily life skills.

If you want to find out about budgetting etc there is useful information on here, but it is information to read, not a forum. They will not be able to tell you how to get a job, for example.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en
    Last edited by elsien; 10-07-2017 at 6:29 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    Well only the English and Maths qualifications are Functional skills

I have Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2 in my English
    Entry 3 and Level 1 in My Maths

Then not including my maths & English I have

Entry 3 Skills for working Life
    Level 1 Animal Care
    Level 2 Animal Care
    Level 2 Travel & Tourism and I'm moving on to Level 3 Travel & Tourism in September

I would Love to work somewhere with the public like retail, working in a travel agents, selling tickets, being a hotel receptionist or something alone that, I mean I do voluntary work in a castle but I really need to keep my anger and emotions in check while I am working because that's what lost me a job at a supermarket and a possible job at KFC.

Its what got me banned from this site, being angry, feeling depressed and upset and thinking the world was against me. I have a counselling session on Thursday which I hope will go well but I have contacted Samaritans and have been telling them why I am feeling this way and it helped and is helping alot
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 10th Jul 17, 7:25 PM
    • 5,632 Posts
    • 6,430 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    Well only the English and Maths qualifications are Functional skills

I have Entry 3, Level 1 and Level 2 in my English
    Entry 3 and Level 1 in My Maths

Then not including my maths & English I have

Entry 3 Skills for working Life
    Level 1 Animal Care
    Level 2 Animal Care
    Level 2 Travel & Tourism and I'm moving on to Level 3 Travel & Tourism in September

I would Love to work somewhere with the public like retail, working in a travel agents, selling tickets, being a hotel receptionist or something alone that, I mean I do voluntary work in a castle but I really need to keep my anger and emotions in check while I am working because that's what lost me a job at a supermarket and a possible job at KFC.

Its what got me banned from this site, being angry, feeling depressed and upset and thinking the world was against me. I have a counselling session on Thursday which I hope will go well but I have contacted Samaritans and have been telling them why I am feeling this way and it helped and is helping alot
    So not for being autistic as you claimed in the first post?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 7:36 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    What do you mean what I claimed in my first post I have autism but that doesn't mean I have the right to get angry and swear at people. I need to keep my Anger and Emotions away and I am doing that from my counselling and talking to people.

I don't like to feel like this and my head is hurting and its been hurting for a long time
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 10th Jul 17, 7:51 PM
    • 2,911 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    We all have blips; carry on being proactive and you'll be fine, ignore those who wind you up.

I'm sure you'll start meeting some life legends and people to look up to soon enough.

PS I'm a bit envious of your qualifications and study
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 7:54 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    Thought you hated life.
    Originally posted by z1a
    I don't hate life in general. I hate what I have become in life a person who has autism who gets angry, upset and jealous over people who have done nothing to me, people that are getting on with their lives and people who actually gave me pretty good advice which I didn't listen to.

I hate the fact that other people have autism and are not as nasty as me, I watched a You tube video about a girl who had autism and she has a job, she was lovely and I want to become that, not the nasty horrible person non likeable person I have become.

So yeah, I need to start Loving Life and enjoying life and what is ahead of me
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 7:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    We all have blips; carry on being proactive and you'll be fine, ignore those who wind you up.

I'm sure you'll start meeting some life legends and people to look up to soon enough.

PS I'm a bit envious of your qualifications and study
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Yeah, Im going to take a quote out of your username, I have to keep calm and carry on
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Jul 17, 7:57 PM
    • 725 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    z1a
    "So yeah, I need to start Loving Life and enjoying life and what is ahead of me"

I genuinely hope you do.
    • ILOVELIFE
    • By ILOVELIFE 10th Jul 17, 8:02 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ILOVELIFE
    "So yeah, I need to start Loving Life and enjoying life and what is ahead of me"

I genuinely hope you do.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Thank you, I was rude to you yesterday and there was no need for it, I was and have been rude to alot of people and there has been no need for it.

I was asking for advice and then just throwing in back in your faces, what it the point in that!!

I might be single and without a girlfriend but no body would want me with the attitude I have had, And you are right what you said, at the moment I would be a terrible father, but that is only at the moment.

In a few years time who knows what is around the corner
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 10th Jul 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    The difficulty with autism, anywhere on the spectrum, is communicating with people face-to-face. Those who have the condition, are blind to the visual cues that NT ( neuro-typical ) people pick up on. The way to beat that, is to choose your playing field, so the disadvantage doesn't matter. People on this board could be deaf, or mute, or have to type with eye-blinks at 1 word / minute ; and we would never know.

If you have a PC with a word-processing function, write your posts there. Zoom them large, and use a coloured font or background, so they are easier to read. Use spell-check and grammar check, and all the "cheats" ; then copy and paste it onto the board. I promise you, no-one will know. Before you post it though, leave it an hour, or more, read it back to yourself. It isn't a race, no-one knows if you have gone for a walk, or a swim, or watched a film ; there is no urgency to reply. Time is your friend, don't waste it. If after two hours and five readings, you think it's good ; then post it. A CV is even more important, so take time over it. The Job Centre might be able to help.

Many of us made many, many job applications before getting their first. I took so long, that I felt "applying for jobs" was my career.

Emotions are useful, they tell you what you feel is important ; but sometimes doing the important thing, means putting the emotions aside for a while, so you can concentrate on it. It means holding back from the less important things, to focus on the more important things. Life is about learning, and if you make mistakes with things or people, make sure you understand what behaviour would been better. If something bothers you, write it down, then discuss it with someone ; they might be able to help you. Sometimes life really is grossly unfair, and there are often few guarantees ; all you can do, is shift the odds in your favour.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

774Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter