Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 10th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    • 3,668Posts
    • 4,347Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Knocking down outhouse with asbestos
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:09 PM
    Knocking down outhouse with asbestos 10th Jul 17 at 3:09 PM
    I have a link terraced house.

There is an outhouse just outside my house, but not attached to my house. It is, however, attached to next door's outhouse.

To knock this down, so that a conservatory could be put up, I am guessing that I will need planning permission.

Because my outhouse is attached to next door's, does this complicate things? And would it cost a lot more due to the asbestos in the roof?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
Page 1
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 4,526 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:14 PM
    Have you considered asking the neighbour if they are also interested in getting rid of their outhouse? That may make life a lot easier from the start.

Yes it's likely to complicate things as you're likely to share a 'party wall' which could concievably have your boundary running through the middle of the wall.

Asbestos, likely to add to the cost, depends on the amount involved and what happens with any overlap with next door's roof.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 10th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:17 PM
    Thanks for that. The house belongs to an elderly couple who are now in a care home and is rented out to two families I think. Not even sure how I would contact owners (letting agent I suppose).

It was something I was toying with, but not sure it is worth the hassle to be honest.

It's only on one side of the garden, so I could conceivably put a small conservatory on the other side, but it's side would then face the brick outhouse.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - £400,000
    Mortgages (2nd July 2017) - £183,377.40
    Equity - £216,522.60
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

444Posts Today

3,834Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin