Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fiona Durham
    • By Fiona Durham 10th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Fiona Durham
    Another TV Licence thread... re: Wimbledon on YouTube
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:07 PM
    Another TV Licence thread... re: Wimbledon on YouTube 10th Jul 17 at 3:07 PM
    Please could someone help me figure out if I can watch Wimbledon legally on YouTube without a TV licence?

I don't have a TV licence and do not watch any live TV, BBC anything anywhere etc etc...

I am a Wimbledon fan and have noticed for the first time this year that there's a Wimbledon channel on YouTube with a live stream.
    If this is a TV channel also (or BBC) then, as far as I understand it, I wouldn't be able to watch it without a licence. The TV Licencing website contains the following information:

"Do I need a TV Licence to watch live TV programmes on an online-only TV channel? Yes. Online-only TV channels still count as live TV, so you need a TV Licence if you’re watching or recording their programmes."

So does that mean no, I can't watch it because it's an online channel? But is it an online channel? What if Pixiwoos do a live tutorial on YouTube, can I watch that? I am well confused
    Last edited by Fiona Durham; 10-07-2017 at 3:31 PM. Reason: typo
    If you think no-one cares about you, miss a mortgage payment
Page 1
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 10th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 4:37 PM
    Wouldn't think the stream will stay up for long - Beeb will want it taken down pronto!!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 10th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 5:10 PM
    This is the official stream of Wimbledon, who own the rights, and the BBC will have no say in the matter.

Well, this one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVBYYPcs0c

The issue of the TV Licence for such services is complicated (certainly more complicated than the TVL website comment suggests).

The rule is this: IF the stream is a copy of a linear broadcast channel available in the UK via Terrestrial, Satellite or Cable TV (whether you have to pay for it or not), then you need a TV Licence.

IF it's not a parallel stream to a UK broadcast channel, then you do not need a Licence.

That's my view... IANAL... etc.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 10-07-2017 at 5:13 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter