Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 10th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    • 314Posts
    • 843Thanks
    thriftyemma
    Anxious cat marking indoors
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:12 PM
    Anxious cat marking indoors 10th Jul 17 at 2:12 PM
    Hi everyone. I often read, but don't post, so I know there are some fantastic posters on here. I'm hoping you can help.
    We brought cat 2 home two years ago, at 12 weeks. We introduced her slowly to Cat 1, not best of friends, but zero problems.

We then added to our family with Cat 3, one year ago. Again, introduced very slowly, lots of praise etc. Used Feliway Friends (I think it's called) to help with the transition. Cat 1 very placid, again zero problems. Cat 2 and cat 3 very unhappy with each other. Cat 2 started marking when she got upset. We separated them, and tried again with introductions. Helped a fair bit, and cat 2 stopped marking.

In the past month, cat 2 has started marking again when upset. I'm sure it's marking because she squats and does a puddle when urinating normally. But when she marks, she stands, lifts her tail and does a long horizontal 'shoot'. If that makes sense?
    It's not just when her and cat 3 fight, which is about once a week, and only a very short spat. It's when she gets put out of a room for any reason, or anything that upsets her or makes her anxious. And it's not in always in the same spot. If she's shooed out of one of the kids' bedrooms at bedtime, she'll stand at the closed door and do a wet protest. She happily uses the litter tray normally, so I've no reason to believe she has an UTI or similar. Having said that, I am open minded.

We've bought more Feliway, and we have 5 litter trays between the 3 cats. They are scooped daily and cleaned weekly. All 3 cats have had the snip, and they are all indoor cats due to where we live. They all have a mix of wet and dry meals, and free access to a water fountain and separate water bowl.

Anyone got any thoughts please? I hate to see my little girl anxious, and equally hate having to shampoo the carpet 2 or 3 times a week. TIA
Page 1
    • toontastic
    • By toontastic 17th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    toontastic
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 17th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    Are you sure the anxiety hasn't cause an infection which would also show these signs ? The horizontal 'shoot' can be a sign of pain when passing. The use of sprays like Urine Off may also help as they will remove the smell of the urine your carpet shampooing won't be.
    • lindze
    • By lindze 20th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    lindze
    • 20th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    • 20th Jul 17, 3:00 PM
    Cats tend to be very subtle when intimidating each other, very rarely do you get the full on spat. Watch out for cat number 1 or 3 sitting in doorways, looking all calm and that butter wouldn't melt, but the purpose is to not let other cat/s into the room.

I would try ensuring that there are an abundance of resources i.e. one litter tray per cat plus one, in different areas of the house (annoying though I understand) food stations in different areas so no cat can police all resources at once.

Think vertically too to increase all of the cats' personal space - cat shelves are really good for this, where the anxious cat can get up high and avoid cat number 3 or simply go up and around cat 3 instead of walking past them.
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 22nd Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    • 22nd Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    • 22nd Jul 17, 1:39 AM
    Are you sure the anxiety hasn't cause an infection which would also show these signs ? The horizontal 'shoot' can be a sign of pain when passing. The use of sprays like Urine Off may also help as they will remove the smell of the urine your carpet shampooing won't be.
    Originally posted by toontastic
    Thank you. I took her to the vets after I noticed her urine was very strong smelling. After testing, it was found she has a mild infection, and a build up of crystals in her bladder. We've been given medication, and a special food to help break down the crystals. Being tested again in 2 weeks, but signs are already positive.
    • thriftyemma
    • By thriftyemma 22nd Jul 17, 1:43 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    thriftyemma
    • 22nd Jul 17, 1:43 AM
    • 22nd Jul 17, 1:43 AM
    Cats tend to be very subtle when intimidating each other, very rarely do you get the full on spat. Watch out for cat number 1 or 3 sitting in doorways, looking all calm and that butter wouldn't melt, but the purpose is to not let other cat/s into the room.

I would try ensuring that there are an abundance of resources i.e. one litter tray per cat plus one, in different areas of the house (annoying though I understand) food stations in different areas so no cat can police all resources at once.

Think vertically too to increase all of the cats' personal space - cat shelves are really good for this, where the anxious cat can get up high and avoid cat number 3 or simply go up and around cat 3 instead of walking past them.
    Originally posted by lindze
    I didn't think about covert intimidation, but yes, cat 3 will often block stairs and doorways. I love the idea of cat shelves. I've noticed anxious cat loves hiding on top of the kitchen cupboards, so I think she'd appreciate proper hiding spaces up high. Thanks for the tips.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

223Posts Today

1,506Users online

Martin's Twitter