Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jaimel134
    • By jaimel134 10th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jaimel134
    Concrete patio slabs
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:33 PM
    Concrete patio slabs 10th Jul 17 at 1:33 PM
    Hello,
    My new build house had small patio area fitted using 600x600x50mm concrete slabs, council slabs I think they are know as.
    I wanted to extend and purchased further slabs from same supplier.
    I have laid them but colour difference is noticeable.
    Old ones (20 months down) are darker Grey.
    Will new ones weather to be the same?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 10th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 1,267 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:43 PM
    Only time will tell I'm afraid. Did you not notice the colour difference before you laid them all?

If they don't weather the same, make a few swaps so that there's a random pattern of the light-dark slabs rather than two distinct blocks of different shades. Avoid creating a regular pattern and try and get something genuinely random, with some singles and some clusters of the new type.
    • jaimel134
    • By jaimel134 10th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaimel134
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    Thanks for reply,
    The colour difference was only slight, with the new ones being a shade or two lighter but not as noticeable.
    The wife then went all guns blazing with the power washer on the weekend and now its a big difference.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,330 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    I had some slabs replaced & the new ones were very different, a year later you can hardly tell the difference. Don't let the wife pressure wash them too vigorously!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • jaimel134
    • By jaimel134 10th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jaimel134
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:55 PM
    Thanks, Thats what I am hoping for.
    Just a long wait then
    • Furts
    • By Furts 10th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    Furts
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:06 PM
    There is a possibility your new slabs are not the same specification as those already laid. Council slabs will be hydraulically pressed, DIY slabs can be vibrated concrete, or just poured concrete.

Going to the same supplier after 20 months is no guarantee of the cement being from the same supplier , nor the aggregate being the same colour.

Concrete will tend to lighten with age. Pollution and dirt will then darken up the appearance. But my suggestion is you have purchased unsuitable slabs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

6,122Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin