Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 10th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    • 46Posts
    • 24Thanks
    garythehutch
    Car crash injuries - what should I do?
    • #1
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:32 PM
    Car crash injuries - what should I do? 10th Jul 17 at 1:32 PM
    Hi all

    A few weeks ago, I was heading home in a taxi after a night out and was hit from the side by (what I feel was a drunk girl). Her car was a write off. The accident was 100% her fault. I didn't have any pain there and then.

    I walked away. The taxi driver swapped her details, and so did I. The taxi called me the next day and told me he has passed my details onto the girls insurance.

    I started to get pain in the side of my neck, and the middle of my back (putting a shirt on hurt for example). Howeer, I got some tightness in my lower back, where I had successful spinal surgery some years ago.

    A couple of days later I got a call from her insurer who asked about the details, and I explained the above. She asked "Has this accident made your back worse?" I said I couldn't say either way, because my durgery was 100% successful and I was pain free, and I can only say now I am having pain where I had my operation. She said she would pass my details onto another department due to this factor.

    A few days later, I get another call from this department. Went through the same story. She asked if I had any time off work. I was honest and said no, but this was because I'm self-employed contractor and if i don't work, I don't get paid - which I can't afford to do. I could also potentially be let go. I work in an office, so there is no manual labour involved, but taking time off would really hurt financially.

    She put me on hold, came back, and offered me £2,500 as an immediate settlement. Followed up with an email confirming. I said I would have to think about accpeting it - as if I need surgery and time off work, I could potentially lose a lot of money. She said she understood, and would call back in a couple of weeks.

    I am thinking of going to the doctors and asking for an MRI... but I also would be happy accepting a substantially higher offer.

    What advice does anyone have? Shall I just wait for a higher offer? Can I negotiate this? Shall I get an MRI first?
    Last edited by garythehutch; 10-07-2017 at 1:39 PM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • 13,187 Posts
    • 13,501 Thanks
    zx81
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    • #2
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:37 PM
    Have you not been to the doctors at all? Even though you have a concern you may need surgery?
    • garythehutch
    • By garythehutch 10th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    garythehutch
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    • #3
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:38 PM
    Not yet. I can't get an appointment... just been told to call back tomorrow. (My local doctors is terrible for this... but that is another story).
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,548 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    societys child
    • #4
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • #4
    • 10th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    Ka-ching!!

    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MrJones1
    • #5
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:02 PM
    I understand your point. The accident and injury sound terrible. It's never fun to be in a car accident after a good night out. The £2500 offer could at a first glance seem good, but if the injury becomes worse there could be costs that exceed this sum in the long run. I advise you to get a medical report that state your injuries. This is your evidence that the car accident caused the injury. Otherwise, nothing speaks for your case.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • #6
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • #6
    • 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    What advice does anyone have? Shall I just wait for a higher offer? Can I negotiate this? Shall I get an MRI first?
    Originally posted by garythehutch
    You need to speak to a doctor and a solicitor, what do you think about no-win-no-fee companies.
    If the car was a right-off, you will likely get some cash. If you havnt seen a doctor already or been to A+E, most people will think you are ok.
    How long ago did it happen?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • 32,808 Posts
    • 16,839 Thanks
    Quentin
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    • #7
    • 11th Jul 17, 9:43 AM
    If this happened weeks ago and you still haven't been to a doctor/hospital then you aren't helping your compensation claim chances at all.


    Do it today!


    Discuss this with a specialist injury claim solicitors firm rather than the 3rd party insurer - you can see the clash of interest they have!


    if you may have to lose income over this then £2500 won't cover that, never mind your compensation!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

394Posts Today

3,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

  • Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

  • Follow Martin