Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • williamz80
    • By williamz80 10th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    williamz80
    Work programme woes..advice
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:31 PM
    Work programme woes..advice 10th Jul 17 at 1:31 PM
    First time poster, pulling my hair out and need some advice..

I was originally made redundent in apr 15 from the military, I was then on JSA until sept 16 (i Know ,I know id never been jobless before and left me depressed) Unfortunatly the company I got a new job with then went bust in nov 16 ( My luck).

I was then put onto UC and due to my previous unemployment referred to the work programme.
    However the first two months of being with Peopleplus I didnt see anyone as they were downsizing their offices and staff into one locale, fine i thought .

I then had a job fall through and was summoned to attend the WP at peopleplus , when I first attended after travelling 10 miles by train I was told to sit at a PC and do a job search ( the excat thing I do at home )

I apply for 30 plus jobs per session had in paperwork , no follow up nothing. I voiced my concerns at the jobcentre and they have nothing but disdain for the WP and peopleplus.

However recently ( due to dwindling customer base as no referrels) I have to attend twice a week at peopleplus ( mon and fri) for 2 hr plus a session. recently I have had a lot of interviews that meant I could not attend those sessions. I have always provided evidence , however this morning I was told that if I attend an interview on a 'peopleplus' day I will have to come in the very next day to 'make up' the lost time?

It seems a little harsh to be penelised for attending an interview. Peopleplus provide nothing, no support , no explanations and infact foster an environment that doesnt want you getting a job, heck they have havent even paid my rail fares for sessions and interviews.

Im so tired of them , the last month ive had at least two interviews a week, Ive arranged better interviewing techniques with the jobcentre and trying to stay positive.

but I just cant deal with peopleplus and their pettyness , I takes me over an hr via train to get there and do what I do at home, they dont even talk to me..

I just want out, the jobcentre dont understand why I need to do two sessions and dont see the value in it, my long winding rant is has anyone else had to deal with this?
Page 1
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 10th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,250 Posts
    • 2,646 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    You're not being penalised, you're expected to attend there as well as going to interviews. Unless you have interviews five days a week this is not unreasonable.

Thirty applications in two hours suggests you're not putting a great deal of thought into each application. Take a quality over quantity approach and ensure you tailor each application to the role. Do not just fire off the same cv to every job, recruiters can tell!

You will have "out" once you find a job. Hopefully that will be in the near future. Best of luck with your applications.
    • jbond
    • By jbond 16th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jbond
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:00 PM
    Hi William, I didn't previously know this but 'peopleplus' used to be A4E (Action for Employment), who got into a LOT of trouble over a major fraud about 2 years ago (or rather some of their employees did).
    I don't know the exact rules for peopleplus, but you shouldn't be being penalised for attending an interview, as that is far more important than attending one of their 'job search' sessions.

As far as your applications go, it's not uncommon for that many apps in one go, but that's mainly done just to keep the JC happy. I have read a few threads from employers who are sick of receiving apps from ppl who are just doing it to keep the JC happy!

Everything you've written there, makes complete sense to me, because I've read it all before.
    They may also have been asking you to fill in a lot of unnecessary forms, because if you don't, they don't get any money, and their prime purpose is to make as much money out of people as possible.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 16th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,192 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    • 16th Jul 17, 12:28 PM
    You are not being penalised, they are just asking you to do whats required on a different day. Some people could 'game' that by setting up interviews only on days they are supposed to be at WP.

That aside, I feel for you, once a fortnight is fine, even once a week if needed, but twice a week is clearly to get their stats up.

Unfortunately there is nothing you or the JCP can do about it, the only solution is to get a job ASAP. You should be pushing for them to pay your travel though, they should have a budget for it.

When you do get your job, cut off all communication with WP if you dont feel they helped you, dont even confirm you are working (Just sign-off through JCP), dont answer their calls. Then they wont be able to make money off you getting a job.

Worst thing you can do is hit them in the pocket. Also try making a complaint on their website, the higher-ups will see it. BUT it may end up with you getting more attention from them than you want.

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,666Posts Today

8,562Users online

Martin's Twitter