Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Red1971
    • By Red1971 10th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Red1971
    Company car tax
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:17 PM
    Company car tax 10th Jul 17 at 1:17 PM
    Hi, please can someone help me as i am hitting a brick wall with my ex-employer and HMRC. From April 6th 2016 to January 31st 2017 i had use of my company car for PRIVATE use only. This was agreed as part of a settlement agreement. On my 16/17 P11D the cash equivalent for the car and fuel is the same as the previous year for business and private use (pretty much). HMRC claim you can only have a company car for both uses and not private use only. The value of the car was £42k and the CO2 was 139. Can anyone advise of the cash equivalent for both car and fuel please?

Thank you so much.
Page 1
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:25 PM
    Does this link help?

http://comcar.co.uk/newcar/companycar/taxcalc/

Although, I suspect that the issue is that the car was 100% private use in your case...
    • Red1971
    • By Red1971 10th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Red1971
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:05 PM
    Thank you, but yes you're correct my scenario is somewhat unique as it was purely for private use. There calculators don't seem to give me the right info.

Regards Nick
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,936 Posts
    • 872 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    You do understand that the reason there is a benefit is the private use.

The only way you could avoid this if private use was specifically prohibited which most employers are unwilling to agree to because it is nigh on impossible for them to check/enforce.

Has the car benefit been limited to the correct period i.e. isn't a full tax year?

Did you actually receive the fuel benefit or has your employer included that by mistake?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin