Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bones85
    • By bones85 11th Jul 16, 6:39 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 296Thanks
    bones85
    Haggling BT
    • 11th Jul 16, 6:39 PM
    Haggling BT 11th Jul 16 at 6:39 PM
    Anyone ever phoned up BT to get a better deal?
    i've been with them 2 years now, i pay £29.56 broadband + phone and £16.99 line rental and thats for the infinity 2 unlimited package, i just phoned up to say i've had a letter from vodafone as my mobile contract is with them offering me up to 76mbps (same as infinity 2) unlimited for £10 a month first 12 months and then £20 after, with £18 line rental, and the closest she would do is offer me £20 a month for infinity 2, she even said why don't i change my package to infinity 1 (up to 38mbps) to save money and i said what's the point in that when i can get the top speed elsewhere

I even said i really like BT as a company and would rather stay with them, still nothing, old stubborn she was could tell right away she wouldn't offer me anything as good as the others
Page 9
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 21st Nov 17, 12:24 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    shaggy
    Haggled for the same provisions at present, but lower price. So he offered BT Infinity 1 package, free weekend calls for £22/month on a 24 month contract . I was a bit confused because he said it was due to go up to £40 odd so I save £10 (perhaps he means on what I'm paying now), so I confirmed the total price again at £22/month so I hope that's correct. He took a long time searching out my details and asking if my needs were greater as well.
    Originally posted by andromedean
    a great deal indeed. If they offer me a similar price on my renewal in about 9 months I'd happily take it. Im happy with BT's speeds, but i wish their retentions would be easier to negotiate with.
    • xman
    • By xman 21st Nov 17, 12:33 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman
    Ok, just got off the phone and this is what I agreed to the following:

Infinity 1: £27.99 (18 months with speed upgrade to the faster Infinity 2)
    BT Sport: £5 for 12 months and £10 thereafter.
    HD pack: Free for 18 months.

The advisor said I can call in 12 months to review the BT Sport price again. I shall be paying the Line Rental Saver tomorrow to save additional £20 this year. It should work out at around £32 for 18 months.
    • shaggy
    • By shaggy 21st Nov 17, 12:43 PM
    • 887 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    shaggy

The advisor said I can call in 12 months to review the BT Sport price again. I shall be paying the Line Rental Saver tomorrow to save additional £20 this year. It should work out at around £32 for 18 months.
    Originally posted by xman
    I got the BT Sport free for 12 months, and £28.99 infinity 1 on a 12 month contract. Keep trying, or initiate a switch to Plusnet, deliberatly making your switch date a month or so ahead giving you options to cancel plusnet within 14 days etc. if you get a good BT deal.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 21st Nov 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10,761 Posts
    • 5,525 Thanks
    deanos
    I've just had this through

Ongoing charges for this order
    Line Rental Saver £-18.99
    Reduced line rental with Line Rental Saver
    Originally posted by andromedean
    I have been on the phone to BT, and read out your email to them to try and get a better deal , they said you have paid line rental saver in advance ?

So the price is more than £22 a month when you add line rental, is that correct ?
    • HaggleThemLow
    • By HaggleThemLow 21st Nov 17, 7:37 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    HaggleThemLow
    I was in the middle of a 2 year deal and phoned them to ask if I could cancel because of the upcoming price increase.
    Was offered an upgrade to fibre which I accepted, had a few problems with the order process though, which resulted in me getting the price down even more.

Net result
    Unlimited 52mb BB incl LR, no installation charge, £23.99pm
    BT sport £3.75pm
    Both fixed for 18 months
    £9.99 for router delivery.

I stick with BT for my broadband because of the BT sport and have always been able to get a good deal for both.
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 22nd Nov 17, 3:05 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    andromedean
    I have been on the phone to BT, and read out your email to them to try and get a better deal , they said you have paid line rental saver in advance ?

So the price is more than £22 a month when you add line rental, is that correct ?
    Originally posted by deanos
    This is what they sent me by Email, no mention of anything up front
    One-off charges and other services

BT Broadband one-off charges £0.00
    One-off charges including activation, installation and delivery.
    One-off total £0.00

Ongoing charges for this order

Line Rental Saver £-18.99
    Reduced line rental with Line Rental Saver

Broadband and Calls £49.99

Special offer discount £-9.00
    Your special offer discount lasts for 24 months
    Total ongoing charges for this order £22.00
    I've not paid anything other than my monthly charge previously if that's what you mean.

Here are all my charges since the start of my contract about 18 months ago. There was a larger fee to start with of £65.95 I assumed that was for the router or set up fees or something like that.

17/11/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £28.50
    17/10/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £28.50
    18/09/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £28.65
    17/08/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £28.50
    17/07/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £29.20
    19/06/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £28.50
    17/05/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £29.22
    19/04/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £29.81
    17/03/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £26.14
    17/02/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.00
    17/01/2017 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC, £11.00
    19/12/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.00
    17/11/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.00
    17/10/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.00
    19/09/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.00
    17/08/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £11.95
    18/07/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £12.24
    20/06/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £10.00
    17/05/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £10.00
    18/04/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC £10.39
    18/03/2016 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO BT GROUP PLC , £65.95
    Last edited by andromedean; 22-11-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 22nd Nov 17, 3:21 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cbrookes
    Is it just plusnet that has a 14 cooling off period or do EE also? I’m with them for mobile so the extra 5gb data on the mobile might make them a better bet
    • xman
    • By xman 25th Nov 17, 2:55 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman

The confirmation email that arrived after the phone call DID NOT AGREE with what was agreed over the phone! Somehow "lost" the 72mb speed upgrade and the HD pack was only free for a month...

Spoke to the same advisor yesterday but she was not able to assist, so gave notice and now looking to move, somewhere...

Now the account has an "order" of cancelation for the BT sport and not able to go online anymore to renew the offer anymore or get the free BT sport offers available as the advisor said she had no access to BT.com online deals...

Spoke to the BT today and a lovely lady offered to assist, she has stopped the BT Sport cancelation 1st and will call me back tomorrow SUNDAY to sort out my account with the Black Friday deals they have their weekend (her words).

So, please read the confirmation emails you receive after talking to the advisors and keep calling until all is clear...
    Last edited by xman; 27-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    • cbrookes
    • By cbrookes 25th Nov 17, 3:24 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    cbrookes
    Just a quick question, my partner has given notice that she wants to change due to the price increase but looking at the new customer offers they have, would I be able to sign up as a new customer or do we have to change provider? Thanks
    • borderline
    • By borderline 25th Nov 17, 4:31 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    borderline
    I've just got £34.99 on 18 month contract , BT Infinity 1 (including line rental) not great I suppose

I was paying before for standard broadband (with Line rental) £32.99
    • xman
    • By xman 26th Nov 17, 7:01 PM
    • 86 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    xman
    Spoke to BT today and a lovely lady offered to assist, she has stopped the BT Sport cancelation 1st and will call me back tomorrow SUNDAY to sort out my account with the Black Friday deals they have their weekend (her words).
    Lovely lady never called back

I have started a switch to Vodafone now.
    Last edited by xman; 27-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    • jamesbrownontheroad
    • By jamesbrownontheroad 2nd Dec 17, 2:08 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jamesbrownontheroad
    I called again today, with specific packages from competitors to benchmark the package against (namely Virgin Vivid 50 at £20 setup + £27/month). I called saying we wanted to leave, but the initial offer from the BT employee was not competitive so I repeated my intention to leave. I was put on hold for a minute or two, and she returned with a 12-month BT Infinity 1 package (upgraded to Infinity 2 speeds, as per recent publicity) for £28.99.
    Originally posted by jamesbrownontheroad
    Hi everyone. Remember me? Just 20 days ago I posted in this thread to report this deal. And guess what? Just 20 days later, BT are exercising their contractual right to change the terms of the contract!

Yesterday I got this generic email:

Hello,

We're writing to tell you that the price you pay for your BT services will be changing from 7 January 2018. We've put the changes in a simple table below for you.

We've been making improvements to your BT services to offer you more than ever before, and you can see more about these below. We're not stopping there, we've got some exciting new developments in the pipeline for 2018.

You can get even more from your BT broadband service

We've put together a personalised offer just for you. Just log in now with your BT ID or Account Number.

On 7 January 2018 your monthly price will increase by:

Broadband and Calls £2.50
    Clicking on the link in the email presents the bewildering offer...

That's right! I'm lucky enough to be allowed to keep the same price, but for 18 months, instead of 12. Which was the whole point of staying with BT in the first place (because of Brexit and our work situation, we need an exit plan in case we leave the country next year).

So the choice is keep the same price but commit to 18 months instead of 12; or pay £2.50 more every month.

I'm in touch with BT now, and will report back whatever I discover. But beware. BT are pulling no punches in changing the terms of any and all new contracts.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Dec 17, 5:31 PM
    • 9,943 Posts
    • 4,095 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    <BT are pulling no punches in changing the terms of any and all new contracts.>

Its been in your contract/ sign up for a few years now .

Increase how long is left on your contract ??
    • jem16
    • By jem16 5th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 18,584 Posts
    • 11,403 Thanks
    jem16
    Clicking on the link in the email presents the bewildering offer...

That's right! I'm lucky enough to be allowed to keep the same price, but for 18 months, instead of 12. Which was the whole point of staying with BT in the first place (because of Brexit and our work situation, we need an exit plan in case we leave the country next year).

So the choice is keep the same price but commit to 18 months instead of 12; or pay £2.50 more every month.

I'm in touch with BT now, and will report back whatever I discover. But beware. BT are pulling no punches in changing the terms of any and all new contracts.
    Originally posted by jamesbrownontheroad
    That screenshot seems to say there will be no change from January for you even if you donít do anything.
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 5th Dec 17, 1:08 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Keezing
    I'm sick of this company increasing their prices mid-contract. I know it's in the contract, but in my world when 2 parties agree to a contract, important terms such as price should be fixed for the length of the agreement.

So I decided to vote with my feet and cancel.

I must admit it was thoroughly enjoyable to call up and tell them I wanted to cancel. First they cancelled the price increase, then they offered me a bigger discount. I stood firm and cancelled.

I moved my business to Vodafone and got the 76mb fibre (including line rental) for £25pcm on an 18 month contract.

Moving over was an absolute doddle. 3 days before my connection date I contacted Vodafone on their live chat to request my broadband username and password. BT cut me off at 5am on the cancellation day, so I simply updated the username and password on my router to those supplied by Vodafone and 2 minutes later I was back online.

No need to reconfigure any of my devices.

My connection is rock solid and synced at the full 80mb download and 20mb upload - which was exactly what I was getting with BT anyway.

For any of you considering Vodafone, I would strongly discourage you from using their router, and instead use a 3rd party router such as the TP-link W9970. It costs about £30.
    • jamesbrownontheroad
    • By jamesbrownontheroad 5th Dec 17, 1:12 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jamesbrownontheroad
    That screenshot seems to say there will be no change from January for you even if you donít do anything.
    Originally posted by jem16
    I didn't grab the whole email - the price stays the same if we change from a 12 to 18 month contract. Others it increases £2.50 a month.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 5th Dec 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 620 Thanks
    phillw
    I'm sick of this company increasing their prices mid-contract. I know it's in the contract, but in my world when 2 parties agree to a contract, important terms such as price should be fixed for the length of the agreement.
    Originally posted by Keezing
    But then we wouldn't have a way out of the contract to get more cashback.
    • Keezing
    • By Keezing 5th Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 278 Posts
    • 248 Thanks
    Keezing
    But then we wouldn't have a way out of the contract to get more cashback.
    Originally posted by phillw
    Indeed, it's good for those with the mentality to take advantage of it.

It's not good for my Grandma who is too anxious to complain and his been hit with price increase after price increase after price increase.

Fortunately the latest price increase gave us an opportunity to get her out of the contract and into a more competitively priced product.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 5th Dec 17, 2:58 PM
    • 33,486 Posts
    • 17,366 Thanks
    Quentin
    Originally posted by Keezing
    When you agreed to the contract that means both sides understood the conditions.

Which didn't include no price increases!

But the terms are better than that by allowing you to leave Scot free and get s newbie deal/ cashback etc elsewhere.

What's the problem??
    • jamesbrownontheroad
    • By jamesbrownontheroad 5th Dec 17, 4:11 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jamesbrownontheroad
    But the terms are better than that by allowing you to leave Scot free and get s newbie deal/ cashback etc elsewhere.

What's the problem??
    Originally posted by Quentin
    BT imposes a price rise, we threaten to walk.

BT acquiesces, says sorry, we value your custom, how about this improved offer?

BT then applies the increase anyway.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

330Posts Today

1,543Users online

Martin's Twitter