Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bones85
    • By bones85 11th Jul 16, 6:39 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 21Thanks
    bones85
    Haggling BT
    • 11th Jul 16, 6:39 PM
    Haggling BT 11th Jul 16 at 6:39 PM
    Anyone ever phoned up BT to get a better deal?
    i've been with them 2 years now, i pay £29.56 broadband + phone and £16.99 line rental and thats for the infinity 2 unlimited package, i just phoned up to say i've had a letter from vodafone as my mobile contract is with them offering me up to 76mbps (same as infinity 2) unlimited for £10 a month first 12 months and then £20 after, with £18 line rental, and the closest she would do is offer me £20 a month for infinity 2, she even said why don't i change my package to infinity 1 (up to 38mbps) to save money and i said what's the point in that when i can get the top speed elsewhere

I even said i really like BT as a company and would rather stay with them, still nothing, old stubborn she was could tell right away she wouldn't offer me anything as good as the others
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jul 16, 7:02 PM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Jul 16, 7:02 PM
    You have no leverage for a better deal out of contract and you can leave and get an offer .
    Or the last get out that gave offers was the price increase of 3rd July if you took the option to cancel before the 3rd .
    My offer was BT Infinity 1 52 meg unlimited at £10 pm + advanced line rental at the pre July 3rd price increase .
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 11th Jul 16, 7:02 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    anactuary
    I never managed to get a better deal from BT.

Plusnet offers Fibre Extra (the equivalent of Infinity 2) for £10pm for 6 months and then £19.99pm (line rental will soon be £17.99pm).

It's not as cheap as your Vodafone offer, but Plusnet is owned by BT so you may prefer it. There is also cashback available from quidco etc too.
    • bones85
    • By bones85 11th Jul 16, 7:46 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bones85
    • 11th Jul 16, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 16, 7:46 PM
    i have heard that recently they have stopped offering deals to keep customers, i just wonder though when i ring up to get my mac code, will they finally offer me something?
    • Jake0307
    • By Jake0307 11th Jul 16, 9:36 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Jake0307
    • 11th Jul 16, 9:36 PM
    • 11th Jul 16, 9:36 PM
    Last time I was with BT, about 10 months into an 18 month contract, was hoping to haggle the price down a bit and they were having none of it. Joke was on them, I left them immediately when TalkTalk offered to pay my cancellation fee for them.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 11th Jul 16, 9:51 PM
    • 2,339 Posts
    • 1,693 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 11th Jul 16, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Jul 16, 9:51 PM
    Joke was on them, I left them immediately when TalkTalk offered to pay my cancellation fee for them.
    Originally posted by Jake0307
    I bet that upset them...
    • stockton
    • By stockton 11th Jul 16, 10:41 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    stockton
    • 11th Jul 16, 10:41 PM
    • 11th Jul 16, 10:41 PM
    Friend of mine was waiting for the letter informing of the new increase in charges from 3rd of July. The letter never came so she rang up. She was advised that since her contract was not up until end of October, she had no chance of a deal. Was told to ring back nearer the end of contract when she was much more likely to get a deal.

Conclusion I came to was that not everybody was included in the new price hike. Makes sense to me as I thought it was crazy to charge someone a few extra pounds and give them the opportunity to walk away from a contract that was much more beneficial to BT.

I am assuming that for some people the price increase will only come into effect when their current contract ends and they negotiate a new one.

Like JJ Egan I pay £10 a month for BT Infinity unlimited: but pay line-rental at the increased rate.

What I have learned from BT is that you can negotiate a good deal but only at the end of contract.
    • bones85
    • By bones85 13th Jul 16, 9:01 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bones85
    • 13th Jul 16, 9:01 AM
    • 13th Jul 16, 9:01 AM
    Surely they would want to offer me something to stop me leaving for another isp though?
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jul 16, 9:40 AM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jul 16, 9:40 AM
    • 13th Jul 16, 9:40 AM
    i have heard that recently they have stopped offering deals to keep customers, i just wonder though when i ring up to get my mac code, will they finally offer me something?
    Originally posted by bones85

MAC is no longer in use .
    The system is now you choose your new supplier and they do all the work .
    • bones85
    • By bones85 21st Jul 16, 7:29 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    bones85
    oh i see! not sure what to do now, anyone on plus net?
    • K.S.
    • By K.S. 22nd Jul 16, 9:22 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    K.S.
    i'm with plusnet
    • mr.milo
    • By mr.milo 2nd Dec 16, 11:28 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    mr.milo
    BT haggling woes
    I have been a loyal customer with BT infinity for the past six years,
    I have never phoned up to haggle a new price.
    BT have even sent me letters saying they can give me a saving.

So today after reading Martin's haggling advice, phoned up BT leaving line. After 15 mins on hold, a lady answered, she was not very easy to haggle with at all. To cut a long phone call short, she offered me £10 savings, I am paying £60 a month for infinity 76mb and inclusive calls.
    She was not willing to give out a new router, unless I pay full for it.
    When I started to say, actually I am going to leave, she just went on for ages about how, I might never be able to get back on, due to running out of room.
    Is £10 a month saving any good?Should I just shup up and take the discount?

Sorry for the ramble, but the operator was so matter of fact, there was no room for barter at all.
    Kind Regards Milo
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 2nd Dec 16, 11:43 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    For Infinity 2 (76mbps) standard package which includes only weekend calls now cost £49.99 per month. Sounds like you were just offered their standard prices.
    You could call again and try to haggle, pay the standard price or look elsewhere.
    There is a chance of downtime if you do switch.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 2nd Dec 16, 12:09 PM
    • 9,478 Posts
    • 3,872 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Start by working out what costs are for a new ISP .Do you actually need Infinity 2 ??

Key before anything is when your contract with BT runs out .If you are in contract then that will require paying off .
    • mjfp509
    • By mjfp509 2nd Dec 16, 12:22 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    mjfp509
    I've never got a decent retention deal with BT when I've spoken to them. Loyalty means nothing nowadays (unfortunately) to the likes of BT. I was told as much by the advisor - new customers are there priority. My advice would be to compare what is on offer elsewhere. You can use this a bartering tool if you want to phone BT again, but I have done this before and they still weren't interested, but you might get lucky. If no joy, move to another provider. Go through cashback sites to get money if you switch - sometimes this can be over £100 - so another saving there. Hope this helps.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 3rd Dec 16, 3:09 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    fewgroats
    I had this too with BT Infinity. And now that they seem to not state how much they will remove from my account with Direct Debit, only stating how much I have used (which doesn't include landline charges) and how much I owe for a quarter (which is obviously too high, and might be considered irrelevant?).
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Dec 16, 6:19 PM
    • 8,009 Posts
    • 4,771 Thanks
    teddysmum
    They do seem a poor company with which to haggle . When I left for Sky they tried to retain me by making an offer which was more than double the deal I was getting.
    • jb66
    • By jb66 3rd Dec 16, 6:26 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    jb66
    Its easier to just switch to plusnet or similar via quidco rather than haggling
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 5th Dec 16, 4:14 AM
    • 8,823 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Unfortunately the new process whereby you only deal with the new ISP cut out the easy option to get passed on to the proper retentions team when you called for a MAC. Front end CS reps are not able to offer much in the way of discounts and you need to speak with the correct people. Check if there are any "thinking of leaving" options when you call. If not then just ask up front to be put through to the retentions team as you are looking for a worthwhile discount. If that gets you nowhere then follow jb66's advice and just switch making sure to grab any cashback deals going.
    • the_bandit
    • By the_bandit 7th Dec 16, 3:38 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    the_bandit
    Take a look at your 'My BT' page when you login to your account.

I had an offer for BTInfinity2 @ £15/month for next 2 years. It can be completed online without any need to call up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

318Posts Today

3,054Users online

Martin's Twitter