Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wildarmor
    • By wildarmor 10th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wildarmor
    Bad situation with removal, and wanted to know about viewings
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:05 PM
    Bad situation with removal, and wanted to know about viewings 10th Jul 17 at 1:05 PM
    I am meant to move out Friday and had originally planned for my furniture to be removed yesterday but the cheapest service was a flexible date system of Saturday-Monday with at LEAST 24 hours notice (which is more a consumer rights issue I guess so will post this there too)

It has all fallen through and though company has promised it will be done today by 6pm I had a holiday planned for 3 days as of today and to leave keys in old place which landlord wanted me to do and have items ready for me when I arrive that way it saved me coming back from holiday then staying overnight at old place then spending another 3 hours travelling on Friday, also meant I didn't have to take holiday items back with me and lug them on train,

About the viewing thing, I had a message Thursday night stating landlord wanted a view Friday and to leave the doors unlocked if we were not going to be on, for some reason he doesn't have the keys, he does have a warden/caretaker who does so not sure why he doesn't just get him to come round.

Anyway he seemed intent on me leaving door unlocked but I said I can't do it as was at new place and not coming back to Saturday or Sunday to finish packing.

Got a message this morning asking about another viewing and asking for my door to be unlocked again, I message saying not back and he pesters me a little saying hes already rearranged a viewing due to me, and if I am not there to post him the keys and he will leave my door unlocked for when I come back, I mention the removal issue and try and compromise saying is it possible for me to leave my stuff there a few days so I don't have to rush back that way can give him the keys and courier can just collect, he didn't respond to that but just mentioned he needed keys urgently etc.

Not sure how to proceed as I haven't moved out and in my bedroom is a tv and computer so if doors unlocked anyone entering can take anything and it invalidates my insurance.

In England by the way.
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 10th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 5,782 Posts
    • 7,549 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:17 PM
    If your tenancy has not yet ended then you are perfectly entitled to have your things in the property and it's entirely reasonable not to leave the door unlocked. Is he talking about the door to the house or is this an HMO and he's talking about the door to your room. Either way you are fine to say no, but the latter would be slightly less ridiculous.

I think you would be fine to respond to say something such as "I won't be there to let you in and am not prepared to leave my door unlocked while I still have possessions in the property. I suggest that you arrange for [caretaker] to be present as they have a key"
    Last edited by TBagpuss; 10-07-2017 at 2:35 PM.
    • wildarmor
    • By wildarmor 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    wildarmor
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    • 11th Jul 17, 6:56 PM
    I compromised in the end but felt like I lost out, I was going away for a few days to same town landlord lives in, I got off train at 4.10 and he wanted to meet at 4.30 so had to rush with heavy bag to meet him and he didn't seem that greatful over it.

And it was my bedroom door, its just I have a computer and tv in there and other tenant still lives there so anyone can go in.

I feel I have been made a fool of really as ll doesn't seem to of been bothered when I was there, only met him at original viewing and emails a few days before rent was due.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,652Posts Today

8,627Users online

Martin's Twitter