Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mufasa
    • By mufasa 10th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mufasa
    neighbor garage asbestos
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    neighbor garage asbestos 10th Jul 17 at 12:44 PM
    Dear all
    i have moved to a new home for two weeks, I noticed that the neighbor in the garden has an asbestos garage roof, does not seem to be damaged but it's very dirty.
    There are a lot of birds on the top, i don't know if this can be dangerous from the time the birds eat on the roof, my neighbor is really old man and probably does not know the real risk,
    i don't wanna spend all day to check him, i have two kids my wife is worried, she doesn't want stay anymore in this house, but what i have to do i can't sell the house after one month, I also have a photo of the garage roof but I do not know if I can attach it
    any suggestions, I do not know what to do right now
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 5,604 Posts
    • 5,381 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:52 PM
    I do not know what to do right now
    Originally posted by mufasa
    You should stop worrying about your neighbour's garage roof. It's not going to do you any harm.
    • jimbog
    • By jimbog 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    jimbog
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    How can you be sure that the garage roof is asbestos?

From where do you see the danger?
    The problem with quotations on the internet is that you can never verify their authenticity - Abraham Lincoln
    • societys child
    • By societys child 10th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 4,403 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    societys child
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    A dirty garage roof, eh?
    my neighbor is really old man and probably does not know the real risk
    Maybe the old man is more knowledgeable and understands that if you don't disturb it, there's no risk?

Are you even sure it is asbestos, and not cement board, which has been in use now, for decades?

• mufasa
    • By mufasa 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mufasa
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:53 PM
    I'm not sure if it's asbestos, I'm not an expert, the garage is old I've seen in the past some asbestos roofs
    and this would seem like asbestos,do you know if there is somebody i can call ?
    I could have someone look into it without disturbing the neighbor
    Last edited by mufasa; 10-07-2017 at 1:55 PM.
    • n217970
    • By n217970 10th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    n217970
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:58 PM
    Kids broken up already?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 10th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:04 PM
    As long as you don't try to eat the roof, or jump up and down on it then there is virtually no risk. You'll likely come in contact with asbestos many times and not realise it, there are only certain scenarios that it presents a danger to health.

There is no requirement for your neighbour to replace it.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 40,543 Posts
    • 46,375 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:22 PM
    As a bird-lover and RSPB member I find this worrying.

Your neighbour clearly has no idea of the risk he is putting the local wildlife to. Birds, sadly, don't recognise asbestos when they see it, nor understand the risk of standing or pooping on it.

Why not suggest to your neighbour that he paint the outline of a cat on the shed roof? Or offer to paint it for him?
    • zebulon
    • By zebulon 10th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    zebulon
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    Kids broken up already?
    Originally posted by n217970
    Almost 2 weeks ago in some part of Scotland.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 10th Jul 17, 2:30 PM
    • 2,117 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    gardner1
    As a bird-lover and RSPB member I find this worrying.

Your neighbour clearly has no idea of the risk he is putting the local wildlife to. Birds, sadly, don't recognise asbestos when they see it, nor understand the risk of standing or pooping on it.

Why not suggest to your neighbour that he paint the outline of a cat on the shed roof? Or offer to paint it for him?
    Originally posted by G_M
    Or how about just leave neighbours garage alone if the asbestos in not damaged or cracked and mind own business
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 10th Jul 17, 2:36 PM
    • 8,017 Posts
    • 4,781 Thanks
    teddysmum
    This ancient garage was not there when the house was purchased ?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Jul 17, 2:45 PM
    • 9,480 Posts
    • 7,482 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Corrugated asbestos cement sheets were the preferred roofing material for garages for many decades and there must be millions of them still out there.

In the words of Lance Corporal Jack Jones the butcher and also the advice of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy -DON'T PANIC
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Jul 17, 2:48 PM
    • 7,053 Posts
    • 7,519 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I'm not sure if it's asbestos, I'm not an expert, the garage is old I've seen in the past some asbestos roofs and this would seem like asbestos,do you know if there is somebody i can call ?
    There's probably some treatment you can get for your irrational anxiety but the NHS is overstressed these days so please go private..
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 10th Jul 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 4,110 Thanks
    Penitent
    I don't understand why your wife is worried and wanting to move. Does she think the roof is going to detach itself in the night and crawl through your window and give her asbestosis?

And, no, you can't hire someone to trespass on your neighbours property and take samples of his garage roof. Leave it alone. It doesn't belong to you. It isn't doing you any harm.
    • mufasa
    • By mufasa 10th Jul 17, 3:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mufasa
    This ancient garage was not there
    there was just i've seen it for the first time i moved into house
    • mufasa
    • By mufasa 10th Jul 17, 3:49 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mufasa
    This ancient garage was not there when the house was purchased ?
    Originally posted by teddysmum

there was just i've seen it for the first time i moved into house
    • mufasa
    • By mufasa 10th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mufasa
    I don't understand why your wife is worried and wanting to move. Does she think the roof is going to detach itself in the night and crawl through your window and give her asbestosis?

And, no, you can't hire someone to trespass on your neighbours property and take samples of his garage roof. Leave it alone. It doesn't belong to you. It isn't doing you any harm.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    he can't just have a look from outside
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 10th Jul 17, 4:06 PM
    • 2,942 Posts
    • 5,500 Thanks
    warehouse
    Hopefully the neighbour doesn't keep matches in the house as this is also a huge risk.
    Pants
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 10th Jul 17, 4:16 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    he can't just have a look from outside
    No. Building materials aren't made from pure asbestos - they're made from material with asbestos incorporated into it. There is no visual difference between a concrete sheet roof with asbestos and one without, so the only way to know is to take samples.
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 10th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    mrginge
    I suspect the neighbour is using the asbestos as a way of dissuading people from investigating the contents of said garage. Possibly massive glass vials of Vx nerve agent placed precariously on a wobbly shelf, or perhaps a chained up crazed mutant who every day yanks those restraining bolts a little further out from the decaying wall.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother selling up, just get the hell out of there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,070Posts Today

7,270Users online

Martin's Twitter