Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fairys38
    • By Fairys38 10th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Fairys38
    Am I being unreasonable?
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:30 PM
    Am I being unreasonable? 10th Jul 17 at 12:30 PM
    Hi,
    To cut a long story short I left my husband a few months ago one of the main reasons being him never having an interest in getting a full time job (he earns abut £6k a year), since then i have been paying all the rent £825 and child maintenance £550 a month despite having my daughter with me 4 nights a week although he does pick her up from school as I work full time but there is an afterschool clubs she goes to 1 day a week.

Whilst i didn't mind this in the beginning to give him time to get on his feet he still doesn't seem to be wanting to get a job, the tenancy is in my name and he didn't want me to see about getting it changed as its an AST and he didn't want the landlord to decide to evict instead and I didn't want that for my daughter either.

I would like to get myself sorted but paying him that amount each month makes it very difficult, I took with me all the debts £15k approx.

I think a few more months and I would like him to support himself quite a lot more, I don't mind paying £500 a month as that seems reasonable but £1400 seems excessive. I do still pay all one off expenses as well for my daughter.

Appreciate your views.
Page 2
    • justme111
    • By justme111 10th Jul 17, 4:29 PM
    • 2,854 Posts
    • 2,738 Thanks
    justme111
    She does not just pay child maintenance- she pays the rent for him as well ! Child maintenance issue would be easy to calculate.). With rent it may be a bit more complicated. Depends when your tenancy ends I suppose. Have you said you lived together for a long time - sorry can not see your op now. Of so I guess that rent could be seen as some sort of spousal maintenance. Have actually done financial settlement and divorce ? I would say agree some time - 6 months or a year for example when it finishes. But too little info re settlement.
    Last edited by justme111; 10-07-2017 at 5:09 PM.
    • chesky
    • By chesky 10th Jul 17, 4:54 PM
    • 836 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    chesky
    So, you left him in the marital home and you're paying both his rent and yours.
    You pay him £550 per month when the CSA tables say it should be £330.
    He gets child benefit. Guess there isn't any child tax credit.
    You care equal time - more or less.

He's doing OK out of the deal.

Could your daughter attend after school club extra days if he went to work? How much would it cost?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,307Posts Today

6,623Users online

Martin's Twitter