Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Roland Flagg
    • By Roland Flagg 10th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,153Posts
    • 420Thanks
    Roland Flagg
    Estate Agent Advice Please.
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:26 PM
    Estate Agent Advice Please. 10th Jul 17 at 12:26 PM
    We are in quite a slow moving area but want to sell our house at at competitive price, but not a silly price.
    House is valued at about £210,000, and would sell for about £10k less than that, but we not willing to pay £2-3k in estate agent fees.

I haggled with a local estate agent who said they would do everything Purplebricks do for a upfront charge of £850, and they have more local knowledge and high street shops. I was going to go with that, but then realised they are only on Rightmove, not Zoopla, which has put me off.

So looking to pay less than £1k fees, preferably on completion but deferred would be better than up front, but up front would be fine if it was a really good deal with a good agent

Also if we go with an online agent I would prefer one that has good phone CS, as I think our property will appeal to older people who are maybe less internet savvy.

Opinions please.
Page 1
    • Lespaul1960
    • By Lespaul1960 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Lespaul1960
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:41 PM
    I would go with the local agent,at the price you have negotiated, if its on Rightmove that ought to be good enough.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 5,794 Posts
    • 5,543 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 12:49 PM
    How many buyers are looking on Zoopla and not on Rightmove?
    • Roland Flagg
    • By Roland Flagg 10th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Roland Flagg
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:11 PM
    Thanks for the replies..
    Yeah tempted to go with local agent. Purplebricks seem to get poor feedback, so if going online I'm more tempted by Settled, Housenetwork and Emoov, the latter two having both upfront and fee on sale options.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 10th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:12 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 1:12 PM

I haggled with a local estate agent who said they would do everything Purplebricks do for a upfront charge of £850, and they have more local knowledge and high street shops. I was going to go with that, but then realised they are only on Rightmove, not Zoopla, which has put me off.
    Originally posted by Roland Flagg
    Why?

That sounds like a very good deal.
    • Roland Flagg
    • By Roland Flagg 10th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    Roland Flagg
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:24 PM
    It just seems a bit strange that they do not post on Zoopla.
    Also wary that a local estate agent accepting an up front fee will work as hard to sell my house as someone paying more than twice as much on completion.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 10th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 1,254 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    Practically anyone who is seriously looking for a property to buy will look on Rightmove. Why add additional running costs to a business which are unnecessary?
    Also wary that a local estate agent accepting an up front fee will work as hard to sell my house as someone paying more than twice as much on completion.
    That's why 'no sale-no fee' commissions are higher, to offset the risk of not receiving a fee, despite incurring various marketing expenses.

Why not consider an incentivised fee structure? Pay them £850 upfront, then they get an additional 10% of anything the achieve over £200k, for example.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 10th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 4,783 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:00 PM
    Are you saying that the same EA offers a choice of options - £850 up-front, or alternatively, say, £2k on completion?

If so, I agree that's not ideal. Having got your £850, they might be tempted to push other people's properties harder, because there's a potential £2k up for grabs.
    • GrumpyDil
    • By GrumpyDil 10th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    GrumpyDil
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    • 10th Jul 17, 6:23 PM
    To be honest you are definitely better off with right move and wouldn't worry about Zoopla. When we put a house up for let with one agent we didn't realise that they had just decided to advertise on Zoopla only until a number of friends asked if the house had already been let as they couldn't find it on searches. Turned out none of them had looked any further than right move
    • charco
    • By charco 10th Jul 17, 10:00 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    charco
    Do NOT touch Purple Bricks. We are currently buying a house that was marketed through Purple Bricks and they are such a shambles it's not even funny. Our mortgage is currently being held up (3 weeks now) due to their incompetence at providing basic documentation. Both ourselves and the owner have had to do work for the conveyency team because they're so slow and sloppy.

Seriously, pay the 1% and actually get a good price for your house. The owner of the house could've gotten a better price with a proper estate agent.

This view is shared by our broker and our solicitor, both of whom groaned when they saw it was Purple Bricks they were having to deal with.

Honestly - do NOT go with them. They also get bad reviews removed from Trust Pilot by flagging them in the hope the reviewer doesn't appeal.
    • charco
    • By charco 10th Jul 17, 10:03 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    charco
    Should also add that Purple Bricks never answer their phones. They ignored my messages for 2 days before I complained via social media. They then lied saying something had been done when it hadn't.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

1,610Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin